Yes Biography

The genius of Chris Squire
Keef

Yes Biography

Post by Keef »

Hello All,

Time to ask a favor again, if you don't mind.
Do any of you have recommendations for a well written biography of Yes?
I've read some reviews online but thought I would come to the trusted fountain of knowledge that is the RickResource! :P

Thanks!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Re: Yes Biography

Post by just_bassics »

Close to the Edge: The Story of Yes by Chris Welch is pretty good. Lots of history without any trash talk, etc...

Also Yesstories: In Their Own Words by Tim Morse is interesting becuse it is a collection of thousands of Yes quotes over the years, arranged by topic, so you can read exactly how they felt about various things over time.

Those titles may not be exact but close enough for you to locate them online. I have the books somewhere...

http://books.google.com/books/about/Clo ... PkklrXyygC

http://books.google.com/books?id=2698ag ... es&f=false

Edit: There is also a biography by Dan Hedges but the band disputes it and Wakeman commented that it was only useful as toilet paper. :lol:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I have all of them ( :wink: imagine that),and the Chris Welch book is really a good one. Coincidentally,i had pulled it for a re- read just a few days ago. Also,if your're looking into a bit of band history,the Yesyears dvd is pretty interesting/entertaining.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

For video, the newer Yes Classic Artists is also good. It has more interview and less music clips than Yesyears and also has Eddie Offord and Mike Tait, among others. Most Yes men are also included, although Tony Kaye is absent, as well as Patrick Moraz. Pete Banks weighs in honestly on many issues - Good video if you're not looking for a lot of concert clips.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

There is "Yes: But What Does it Mean?" as well. While not a book about the band it is a book about their lyrical and musical side. It is...a bit weird. Interesting stuff in places but I would only purchase it after you have read everything else.
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

i have and like the hedges book ! :D
Keef

Post by Keef »

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the suggestions!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”