Sad Night at the Airfield (bass cover clip)

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

Sad Night at the Airfield (bass cover clip)

Post by miguelbass »

Dear friends, here is my cover for part ii of Fly From Here - Sad Night at the Airfield.

For this track I had to use my 5 string Warwick.
Interesting fact that Chris' Tobias has an extended range not only low-wise but also high. That repetitive high F sharp that Chris plays on his first (D) string corresponds to a 27th fret! Even my Warwick has "only" 26 so I played it on the G string.
I really like this bassline. Many details and slight nuances are hidden because of the kind of mixing that was made on this track. I hope that I didn't miss too many... and that you will hear better how Chris thought of the different passages on an apparently simple chord progression.

Then there is that middle bass solo with a Chorus effect , almost sounding like a "detuned" vibrato.

Other interesting aspect that I found was the amount of editing that was made possibly by Trevor Horn. I tried to illustrate with the video what I perceived from that post-editing. Not like common "rock" productions - It seems that bass notes are chopped and used elsewhere without necessarily wanting to "disguise" so nobody notices it. In other styles this is very common to do... Trevor Horn maybe was here responsible for this editing. I think it suits very well the album concept... it's not too different of what they did with Close to the Edge, only with new technology and musical context.

Well I hope you enjoy the clip. Happy Easter to all.

Miguel

just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Re: Sad Night at the Airfield (bass cover clip)

Post by just_bassics »

Very nice, Miguel. Great production values, as always. Now I have another reason to break out my five string!

Happy Easter to all...
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Sad Night at the Airfield (bass cover clip)

Post by cjj »

Well done! Great tone... makes me want to get a 5 string even more...
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”