s4001

Re: Awesome Vintage footage

Post by s4001 »

Unleashed
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Two observations - the action on the RM was lower back then than now, and he was using just the neck pickup. Great video of Chris - he's mostly overlooked in concert footage.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

That's from the QPR concert video from 1976. Very raw and not properly mixed but a great snapshot of this high energy period for the band. After this tour, Jon Anderson admitted that they were exhausted.

Pete, did you attend this show? Can you remember back that far? :lol:
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

A great glimpse at the band at a wonderful time. And yes, great to see Chris get the coverage. THANKS!
Keef

Post by Keef »

That was cool!

I've been seeking out Yes concert DVD's lately and have really wanted to see one with the big Roger Dean stage dressing. I haven't been able to find anything... I did see some QPR clips on Youtube, but most of the concert clips were during the day and you couldn't get the color and grandness.

Is there a DVD of this show at night (or in an indoor stadium)?

thanks
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

look for a topographic show somewhere.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Jim,
These 1975 British dates were part of a tour that included theatre shows in April and May with the two football ground shows allowing the band
to use the whole stage setup designed by Roger Dean which had been difficult to fit into the theatres.
I saw Yes at The Palace Theatre Manchester a few weeks earlier on April 29th and the sound was excellent.A pity that show wasnt recorded we all thought.
Money was a bit tight (and I had already seen Yes doing the same set at The Palace) so I opted to go to the Stoke City Fotball club show the week after QPR instead as its only 50 miles from Manchester and buses were laid on.(London is 200 miles south from Manchester by the way)
As it turned out that was a bad choice because true to form the weather was apalling ( May for goodness sake! its still winter) and the Yes set had to be curtailled when rain broke through the awning above the stage onto the generators and amplifiers etc.
The Melody Maker press release had mentioned that in the event of a complete washout the gig would be rescheduled the next day.
At the time of the washout Jon Anderson literally dragged the rest of the band back onstage (Steve Howe was particularly reluctant to carry on) to perform Roundabout and he announced that Yes would play a free concert to make up for the washout but that never happened.
Yes returned with a re-vamped stage set in August 1975 to headline the Reading Festival and after a scorching spell of weather you guessed..it poured downduring the Yes set!
This time however the setup was better and only us poor sods in the audience got wet.
The filming of QPR was mentioned in the MM when the dates were announced but they didnt know for what purpose it was beng filmed.
I remember that the sound system was particularly good by then and though not as compact it would hold its own against the ones we hear now.

Hats off to the sound men of the 70s I say.
tallpat1

Post by tallpat1 »

I went to the Solo's tour in June 1976 at Roosevelt stadium in Jersey city NJ. That was am great show. I have the audio of it which was broadcast on NYC's WNEW 102.7 fm at the time. The most awesome yes show I have ever seen and my 1st by the way. I also heard it was filmed that night but no video was ever released. they sounded amazing.
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

squire got his chance to play "hold out your hand" at memphis midsouth coliseum in '76. there's a boot somewhere. love to hear yes playing that !!! :D
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Yes,he did,Ron! If memory serves,( and it frequently does not!),he played both "hold out..." and "you by my side".
The full band also played Alan's "spring-song of innocence",and one of Jon's "olias" songs.
This had to rank as one of my favorite YES concerts ever,i thought PM was fantastic with them live.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

tallpat1 wrote:I went to the Solo's tour in June 1976 at Roosevelt stadium in Jersey city NJ. That was am great show. I have the audio of it which was broadcast on NYC's WNEW 102.7 fm at the time. The most awesome yes show I have ever seen and my 1st by the way. I also heard it was filmed that night but no video was ever released. they sounded amazing.
I am the music lover that I am because of WNEW! What a great station!
I wish I could have seen and heard those solo pieces. I first saw Yes in 77 so I missed some of the great shows.
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

'78 for me...my butt was sore as i wasn't used to sitting thru such long songs with those hard seats in a stadium setting !

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”