New Trevor Rabin music

The genius of Chris Squire
woodyng

New Trevor Rabin music

Post by woodyng »

I just was listening to Trevor Rabin's latest "jacaranda" samples on Amazon,and it really sounds great. Apparently mostly instrumental,and containing Yes-like prog,as well as other types of influences. I am waiting for Sqackett to be released,so i can order both cd's. Just wondering if anyone here has heard the whole cd yet? I have not followed mr rabin's soundtrack work,not really a fan of most such music,but this new cd sounds like something i can appreciate.
pag
Intermediate Member

Re: New Trevor Rabin music

Post by pag »

Squacket CD had a top review in this months Guitarist Magazine.
Cd to follow.....................
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Cheers,Pete. Good to hear,Chris says he is vey proud of the Sqackett cd,so that is a good start....
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Shoot me if you like, but I've always had a great respect for Trevor's influence on Yes. Without that kick in the pants....they might be out in the pasture for good these days!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

No shooting from this Yes fan,i really love the TR-era of Yes,seeing them on both the 90125 and Talk tours. I am curious if the collaboration with Jon and Rick is going to happen,too.
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Totally agree.. Trevor was a major boost for them. I love what he achieved with them and hope he works with them in the future. A Seriously talented dude.
s4001

Post by s4001 »

bartyclue wrote:Totally agree.. Trevor was a major boost for them. I love what he achieved with them and hope he works with them in the future. A Seriously talented dude.
+1
ram

Post by ram »

Yes with Rabin... yet one more incarnation of a fantastic band, making fantastic music... what's not to like?
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Yes with Rabin resulted in some wonderful music.

I bought the new Rabin disc because I had read several great reviews. I was somewhat underwhelmed on the first listen. Excellent musicianship and production of course but it felt somewhat lifeless. It came off (at least on first listen) more as musical exercises than anything else.

I had been riding a string of recent knockout solo cds: Tony Banks, Ant Phillips, Steve Howe, and Squackett. Rabin's seemed just ok. But I will listen more and I hope it sounds better with familiarity.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Good to know,Stephen,sometimes it is hard to get much from those 30 second sound clips on Amazon. Which Ant Phillips album Is it that you liked? I would be really interested in hearing more of his solo music.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

woodyng wrote:Good to know,Stephen,sometimes it is hard to get much from those 30 second sound clips on Amazon. Which Ant Phillips album Is it that you liked? I would be really interested in hearing more of his solo music.
Well, I am a big fan of Mr. Phillips so I have almost everything he has done but I was speaking of his latest called "Seventh Heaven" which is a two-CD set. All orchestral, it is music that was created for various documentaries and films. Andrew Skeet did the orchestration which is excellent. Lush and melodic is the best way to describe it. That typical Anthony Phillips sense of melody is very clear. The first track on disc one is an astoundingly beautiful one called "Credo in Cantus" and features the soprano Lucy Crowe. (There is an instrumental version that leads off disc two.) The gorgeous and moving melody immediately grabs you and feels like it must be a two-hundred year old classic but it is new. Several of his older guitar-based pieces are interpreted very nicely too. So stay away if you don't like orchestral stuff but if you do it is a winner. It goes nicely with Tony Banks new orchestral CD "Seven."

There are many Ant CDs to explore. His website is a very nice place to start.
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

So far I like the CD....different in many aspects....need to listen to it several more times though!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

He has such unique a tone on acoustic. Does anyone know what makes his tone so different? (About the only other acoustic player with a somewhat similar sound is Craig Chaquico.)
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Maybe it is the Ovation "sound"?
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

RickyBubba wrote:Maybe it is the Ovation "sound"?
Is that what he uses? I know that Chaquico uses a special Carvin artist-model that has a very shallow body. But both guys must be using some signal processing and/or EQ to get that tone. Their playing style must be part of it too of course.

(I must say I prefer a more "natural" acoustic tone but Trevor's technique makes me enjoy his playing.)

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”