Current tour picture

The genius of Chris Squire
ram

Re: Current tour picture

Post by ram »

She ran up the aisle about 3 or 4 times and would wave or blow a kiss to daddy.... he'd respond and she run back to mom. Chris kept looking out into the audience like where's your mother? As Xi was running up on her own I guess.... It was very cute!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

I saw them Friday night in Portsmouth VA. VERY good show, and maybe the best set in terms of variety I have ever heard them do. A few classics were skipped, and that was somewhat refreshing to be honest. Fly from here was excellent.

Looked like Chris was playing a 4001 CS model, and not his old RM? Sure looked that way, but sounded fantastic.

A couple of technical glitches here and there, but the music didn't suffer. Downes appears to have suffered a processor crash on his keyboards, but a quick re-boot and back in business. Chris appeared to have a jack slip out of his bass once as well.

Only two annoying things all night. Steve's guitar tech kept bringing out his two mounted guitars, the Line 6 (?) and the lap steel. Just got old. There was plenty of stage space, and they have always just been on stage at all times. Wasn't sure what was up with that.

Toward the end of the concert, the lights got REALLY frustrating, and they would just park high beams in your face for a long time. Lots of folks complained about that.

The acoustic duet with Steve and John Davidson BETTER find its way onto a live CD...that was my favorite part. That boy can really sing!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

The last time I saw them (with Benoit David) it was similar: Steve's guitars would be brought out and taken backstage as needed. Perhaps others might chime in with when that started.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Tom & William,

I was almost at one or both of those shows, but they added the Pittsburgh show so I was able to see that one and not have to miss a big family event last weekend. My one Goddaughter out on tour with her dad or the other one's twins 1st birthday party - Glad I didn't have to choose!

I love Southeast Virginia and go there every September, we considered going early this year to meet up, then considered D.C. - Last year, while Yes where playing the Warner Theatre, we were out running around the Washinton Monument and eating hot dogs from a street vendor - Wasn't even thinking about the show. But this year's show was not to be missed. I really hope they film one in it's entirety.

I witnessed the same thing in Pittsburgh, a few exchanges with the monitor engineer, but pretty routine. No one threw anything! But Steve was clearly unhappy with the smoke that lingered onstage at the show's start. I guess the venue's ventilation didn't clear it fast enough and he wanted to wait another minute before beginning. He also quite clearly told one loud fan to shut up while he was talking :lol: Classic Steve!

I'm fairly certain, almost 100% that it's the RM and never a 4001CS. I was closer to Steve this time, who did in fact retire his 64 ES-175 in favor of the 3 pickup 175 he uses now, but Chris is still playing the RM. But I didn't ask him about it, when I see him it's always his down time and he doesn't like to talk shop. They guy still gives several phone interviews a day, always seems to be asked the same questions, so he doesn't need me grilling him. I'm just happy to have any time to spend with them and especially Xilan. It's all going by too fast.

So, if you still have a chance, Go See This Tour. I don't think you'll regret it.
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Jim....if it was the RM, he must have had a re-fin? Everything looked sparkly new. Doesn't matter to me what it was, it was all Chris!

What is his pole mounted bass? Didn't get a good look at that addition....

The crowd was decent too, but should have been packed.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Pretty sure the mounted bass was his long necked Tobias, which goes to low C (Miguel, correct me if I'm wrong here).

Yea, I agree about the crowd size. If more fans knew how well they were playing on this tour, they'd cast aside their differences and just come out for the music.

I'll be totally honest here. When I learned of Benoit's resignation, I really felt it might be the end. With all the nonsense that surrounded David's joining up in the first place, then finally getting fans used to the idea... Only to change singers again, I thought might finally bring about the end. Instead, I'm witnessing a band that seems 20 years younger and still full of life.

I'll never doubt them again!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

RickyBubba wrote:Looked like Chris was playing a 4001 CS model, and not his old RM? Sure looked that way, but sounded fantastic.
The pickguard is shaped a bit differently on his RM1999, near the E string at the neck join. Did you get a good look at the bass?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

ram wrote: But I didn't realize it was bring your daughter to work night...
IMAG0032 (500 x 282).jpg
(sorry not a very good shot - but you get the idea)

waving and blowing kisses to dad on stage! And he returned them.

Yep feelin good from the show!!!
That is so cool to enjoy your purpose in life and your family at the same time. :)
ram

Post by ram »

IMAG0030 (282 x 500).jpg
this is the best I have of the bass on the stand
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

jps wrote:
RickyBubba wrote:Looked like Chris was playing a 4001 CS model, and not his old RM? Sure looked that way, but sounded fantastic.
The pickguard is shaped a bit differently on his RM1999, near the E string at the neck join. Did you get a good look at the bass?
No, I was back in the middle cattle car section! My choice though. The bass just looked so brand new and sparkly, and I could have sworn I saw the CS autograph on the pickguard....but who knows at that distance.

RAM....that is about all I could make out of the mounted bass as well. I was distracted when it was brought on stage, and I saw Chris fiddling with swinging the Ric around and I thought..."well, what is he upto now?". When they carted it off stage, it was hard to tell if the pole actually went into the wood, or was lashed onto the back side. Sounded great ofcourse, and I wondered if it was fretless.

Yeah, lots of people missed out on one of the better Yes concerts I have ever been to....since I started going in the early 1990s.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Something I didn't even realize about my photo is that Chris, himself, is even pointing to the reshaped part of the pickguard! :lol: :mrgreen:
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

that pickguard was broken eons ago, but seems to have been repainted as the original screw hole is covered up or just has been filled in and touched up.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

For many years the screw hole was still there with the reshaped pickguard; the bass must have been worked on in recent times to fill in and paint that area (or the whole bass, again).
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

jeff...your avatar will be the new color for my livingroom walls with black trim, white popcorn ceilings, black framed DWaRf albums and a blood red carpet and black leather furniture ! thanx, brutha ! :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS wrote:jeff...your avatar will be the new color for my livingroom walls with black trim, white popcorn ceilings, black framed DWaRf albums and a blood red carpet and black leather furniture ! thanx, brutha ! :D
Have you seen Ruby in the flesh, so to speak, yet? 8)

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”