THOUGHT I'D SHARE THIS VID...

The genius of Chris Squire
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Re: THOUGHT I'D SHARE THIS VID...

Post by bartyclue »

johnallg wrote:Tony Kaye was killer on the Hammond. Chris, in the late 60s, was years ahead of his time playing-style wise.
+1
lucky

Post by lucky »

To hear Chris playing must have been. an amazing thing for a young bassist back in the early 70's. It was for me but it was 1987/88 when I first really listened to Chris/Yes & even now 2012 I'm still impressed.
songdog

Post by songdog »

I was a young bassist back in the early 70s, and yes, it was an amazing thing. I'll never forget the first time I heard Roundabout and stood transfixed through the whole song thinking "where has this music been all my life?"

When I found out what kind of bass he played, I had to buy one. As an old bassist in the 21st century I still play it.
Turn on, tune up, rock out!
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

In 1970 I was a big fan (still am) of Glenn Cornick and that lineup of Jethro Tull.
Watching Tull at Manchester Free Trade Hall was what inspired me to take up bass.
Shortly after Tull I saw Yes at the same venue on the Yes album tour and Chris Squire really impressed me!
From that concert I was determined to have a Rickenbacker bass one day instead of the EB3 and Thunderbird
that Glenn Cornick played.
(I have an EB3 now by the way)
Keef

Post by Keef »

Glenn was big for me too. The album Stand Up is really a great piece of work. I love Glenn's deep, warm tone and melodic playing, and the songs don't suck either!
SquireFan91

Post by SquireFan91 »

Keef wrote:Glenn was big for me too. The album Stand Up is really a great piece of work. I love Glenn's deep, warm tone and melodic playing, and the songs don't suck either!
Tull is my all time favorite band. Though Ian is the big influence for me (flute/vocals/guitar) the incredible bass in the band never escaped me. Great a Glenn was, I was always partial to John Glascock. Preferred his tone immensely. Glenn always sounded muddy to me (not his amazing playing mind you, just his tone), John is very punchy and clear. Also LOVE Jeffrey. Going to see Ian solo do Thick as a Brick 1 and 2 in a couple weeks and I'm stoked. Always saddened me that there was never a Ric in Tull though.
Bass guitarist, flautist, guitarist, and vocalist
amalgameffect.bandcamp.com
Rickenbacker 4003S Bass
PRS SE Santana (w/piezo) Electric Guitar
Taylor GC3 Acoustic Guitar
Powell Silhouette Flute
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

Thanks for posting this Paul. I'd never seen Chris with the Tele bass in action... sounds great even through that backline Orange gear.
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Er....while it probably WOULD,isn't that the lipsynch video....? I think this was just borrowed for the vid.
I don't think Chris ever used Orange gear....Wishbone Ash did,and it sounded great.
CageyPea

Post by CageyPea »

Wow; this takes me back to before I was born! :) I've seen bits of this before; but it still strikes me as to how radical Chris's tone must have seemed back then. He dared dabble in treble!

Have you ever noticed though that in these "classic rock"-era filmings, when the bassist does something solo or lead, the camera shot is instead that of the guitarist or singer standing there doing nothing? As in the beginning of "Survival" here. It begins the tune, solo, for heaven's sake. This reminds me of an old clip I saw of the Who performing "My Generation" on TV, wherein during the bass-solo breaks, the shot was of Townshend standing there not-playing. I think eventually they showed Entwistle's face, but not the bass.

What; back then, were bass players deemed always uninteresting to the viewing audience?? :?
"Music so wishes to be heard that sometimes it calls on unlikely characters to give it voice, and ears." -- Robert Fripp
1976 4001, ivoried White
1997 4003s/5, Jetglo
2003 4004Cii"/5", Mapleglo
ram

Post by ram »

CageyPea wrote:......What; back then, were bass players deemed always uninteresting to the viewing audience?? :?
Yeah, not sure why... we are usually the better looking part of the personnel on stage... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

It hasn't changed that much, I still see modern videos where the cameras stay on the guitarist or singer during bass solos...
:roll:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

No respect.......
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I always figured the camera operators stayed on the guitarist out of sheer amazement at how he could make that cool, low end sound without even touching his guitar...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Thats why Pete Townsend never trusted TV stations to reproduce the sound of the Who.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I mean,
They couldnt even get the pictures right!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”