Isolated Squire Bass

The genius of Chris Squire
Seans
Intermediate Member

Isolated Squire Bass

Post by Seans »

Hadn't seen this before, apologies if already posted. Can't say anything but awesome :shock:
cassius987

Re: Isolated Squire Bass

Post by cassius987 »

Is this the bass AND the guitar part or just the bass? Sounds like both to me.

*For those who don't know what I mean, Chris has said he recorded this part with a picked guitar doubling the bass line.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Sounds like just bass to me...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

Included in the mix will be two basses also, same bass but both pups into separate amps to their own channel on the desk.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

It's the main bassline (bass only) taken from a video-game - it was presented here some months ago.
Notice on the "drifting cloud" section how Chris lights slides his hand on the new Rotosound strings, just before each repetition while the low E is still sounding.
Technically, this left hand movement is not exactly *needed* to reach the following note (it will be the same open E string), rather it shows Chris "miming" the previous upbeat, gaining momentum for the next repetition.
It also makes you "visualize" Chris' moves while recording in the studio.

Miguel
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

Interesting after 6.45 the sound suddenly looses some top end.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Its great to hear the drop-ins!
I remember an interview in Melody Maker that Yes did during the recording of Fragile.
I think it was Chris or Steve that said it was a strange feeling playing in isolated booths whereas
they had previously recorded in the same room.
You get the slight overspill of Brufords drums here and there but you can tell the kit is away from the bass mic up.

On the subject of Fragile,I was messing around trying out my Line 6 M13 looper facility and had a (very rough mind you)
go at doing The Fish.Its straight into the stereo at home so no Ampeg grunge but not a bad sound.
I am going to persevere and try to get a better try but heres what it sounds like....and its an isolated bass track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x1ybNVCkmM
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

cjj wrote:Sounds like just bass to me...
On second thought I think you are right. I was thrown off by how treble-y his sound is. I think the reason it gets muddier after 6:45 is probably some engineering issue, nothing seems to have changed on the instrument end.

Weird thing is, now I can't distinguish much between this tone and the tone on the recording although it may a bit brighter on the record--I swear he has said he "cheated" and used an electric guitar over the bass to record this part in an interview.
s4001

Post by s4001 »

...and the arguments I used to get in with engineers about fret buzz.... :x
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

s4001 wrote:...and the arguments I used to get in with engineers about fret buzz.... :x
Engineers ha, '' Rickenbacker, that's not a BASS'', the rest of the day didn't go too well after that comment.
Very cool, Pete.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Seans wrote:Engineers ha, '' Rickenbacker, that's not a BASS'', the rest of the day didn't go too well after that comment.
As a counterpoint to that...........when I was doing my old jazz fusion, rock,latin, progressive, world music band, Rare Blend, we did a big festival gig in Columbus and were something like the 4th band to go on, in the very late afternoon/early evening time slot. As I walked on to the stage with my (at the time) July '73 FG 4001, the sound engineer, (probably the monitor mixer) looked at me and said: "Finally, a REAL bass!!!" 8) I guess they weren't too fond of all the 6 string coffee table booteek bassses the previous band's bassists were using; I think I made a good call in bringing the Rick instead of my two ZON 5 string basses, one of them fretless, with no lines! :mrgreen:
s4001

Post by s4001 »

jps wrote:
Seans wrote:Engineers ha, '' Rickenbacker, that's not a BASS'', the rest of the day didn't go too well after that comment.
As a counterpoint to that...........when I was doing my old jazz fusion, rock,latin, progressive, world music band, Rare Blend, we did a big festival gig in Columbus and were something like the 4th band to go on, in the very late afternoon/early evening time slot. As I walked on to the stage with my (at the time) July '73 FG 4001, the sound engineer, (probably the monitor mixer) looked at me and said: "Finally, a REAL bass!!!" 8) I guess they weren't too fond of all the 6 string coffee table booteek bassses the previous band's bassists were using; I think I made a good call in bringing the Rick instead of my two ZON 5 string basses, one of them fretless, with no lines! :mrgreen:
Yeah. I had that happen at the festival gig I did a couple weeks ago. I think my statement is a little dated. Engineers now seem to understand what a Ric is all about.
songdog

Post by songdog »

s4001 wrote:...and the arguments I used to get in with engineers about fret buzz.... :x
I'm going to lower the action on my 4001.... :mrgreen:
Turn on, tune up, rock out!
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

you don't have to...just hit hard like we do !!! :lol:

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”