YES Spring 2013 Tour

The genius of Chris Squire
woodyng

Re: YES Spring 2013 Tour

Post by woodyng »

There are several utube videos from the first few shows they did this last week that are showing they mean business,they are sounding quite good,even the "new" guys, JON and Geoff!
DevilsHandsAreAnIdolWorkshop

Post by DevilsHandsAreAnIdolWorkshop »

I'm not going to try to say it's EXACTLY like the old days. Who'd expect it to be the same? Not exactly. But incredibly close. Very energetic and spirited. I mean we're talking about Close to the Edge, Going for the One and The Yes Album in their entireties... plus Firebird Suite on the front and Roundabout on the back, what could be wrong with that?

My interest waned after 1980 for both albums and performances. I confess I'm no 'YesWest' fan. Not that it was a bad thing, definitely not for them, but it was as if the band didn't exist for me. Around the time they seemed to be rediscovering their roots a few years back, I got interested and bought tickets for a show. This turned out to be the tour that was canceled due to Jon Anderson's health.

Then I saw them last year and it was good. Honestly, not great, but very good especially as they're not spring chickens. And Jon Davison was a pleasant surprise. So, it was a forgone conclusion that I'd see them this time around.

WAY BETTER. Really really excellent! Howe's in much better form, for whatever reason. It matters. I never really thought it would be this good again.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

As much as I love and miss Jon Anderson's input into yes, the new "Jon" is doing such an impossibly good job and has rejuvinated the other guys a great deal!
When I saw them live it was the third time he had played with them live and he didn't make one mistake (the others did, as you do) and you could see he was getting on with everone else on stage!

I think Mr Anderson will be back some time, I just hope Jon Davidson is not sidelined when that happens as he seems to really fit in. Perhaps Jon Anderson could do a bit on the next album along side his understudy as a proper handing over of the reins....

I don't mind when the line up changes of Yes, the band is more important than anyone in it...

Eden.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Everyone here knows my opinion of setlists, I never want to know in advance what the performers have in store for me. Of course, this tour is the exception, since the entire premise was to promote the performance of these three records as they were recorded. So, I did dabble into a few youtube clips and was surprised to see how authentic some of the arrangements were to the original LP versions. I'm going to drive five hours to see this tour, that's the closest one for me, but it will be worth it to hear A Venture and Turn of the Century performed live, and I always love hearing CTTE and all the others.

Maybe Steve can extend A Venture so we can finally hear the blazing solo that takes off just as the song fades on the LP.

Too bad they can't throw Into The Storm into the encore set....

weemac wrote:As much as I love and miss Jon Anderson's input into yes, the new "Jon" is doing such an impossibly good job and has rejuvinated the other guys a great deal!
Excellent assessment.
When I saw them live it was the third time he had played with them live and he didn't make one mistake (the others did, as you do) and you could see he was getting on with everone else on stage!
I do hate to say it in front of Yes fans, but you're absolutely right. He's the only one of the group turning out flawless performances. Which is not only okay (I excuse the rest of them), but probably necessary to be accepted in his position.

just_bassics wrote:Everyone here knows my opinion of setlists, I never want to know in advance what the performers have in store for me. Of course, this tour is the exception, since the entire premise was to promote the performance of these three records as they were recorded. So, I did dabble into a few youtube clips and was surprised to see how authentic some of the arrangements were to the original LP versions. I'm going to drive five hours to see this tour, that's the closest one for me, but it will be worth it to hear A Venture and Turn of the Century performed live, and I always love hearing CTTE and all the others.
Turn of the Century was nothing less than incredible.
Maybe Steve can extend A Venture so we can finally hear the blazing solo that takes off just as the song fades on the LP.
It takes a true Yes fan to mention that solo which requires cranking the volume... I waited with anticipation, but no, it isn't there. Sorry. But you won't be disappointed - at all.

Pechanga - better.
mikeyesfan

Post by mikeyesfan »

just_bassics wrote:Everyone here knows my opinion of setlists, I never want to know in advance what the performers have in store for me. Of course, this tour is the exception, since the entire premise was to promote the performance of these three records as they were recorded. So, I did dabble into a few youtube clips and was surprised to see how authentic some of the arrangements were to the original LP versions. I'm going to drive five hours to see this tour, that's the closest one for me, but it will be worth it to hear A Venture and Turn of the Century performed live, and I always love hearing CTTE and all the others.

Too bad they can't throw Into The Storm into the encore set....
Seems they are switching the set list to see what works...
CTTE..TYA..GFO..last night might be the one..
ram

Post by ram »

Well it looks like the tour is coming to Washington DC on the 24th of July.... cool!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
harrek

Post by harrek »

And it looks like I get a 2nd chance to go as they are coming to Mt Pleasant in the summer. Not going to
miss getting tickets this time.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

YES!

I was very pleased so see they have added another leg and that they are coming to Phoenix! Count me in!

Do it! No hesitation. You won't regret it. It's like the old days except with (mostly) old guys.

I'm doing Anaheim and San Diego. Four times in one year almost makes up for decades going to zero Yes concerts.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Hey JPS!!

7 Aug 2013 On Sale SOON Cleveland Heights, OH Cain Park
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:Hey JPS!!

7 Aug 2013 On Sale SOON Cleveland Heights, OH Cain Park
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cain Park is a really teeny place, what I trip it would will be to see them, there!
ram

Post by ram »

Anyone else doin DC show?
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”