All Good People and bass doubling

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

All Good People and bass doubling

Post by miguelbass »

I am resurrecting a subject that I started back in 1996 when I posted at alt.music.yes.

I stated that the bass line for I've Seen All Good People was in fact doubled by a guitar, in the same way as Roundabout was, later on Fragile.
It's interesting because Roundabout went to be one of the most historical bass lines ever, yet one of the "secrets" was already used previously.
I haven't heard of anyone discussing this and even in 96 nobody answered to my post. Am I the only one who hears this?

here is my original post
Miguel

https://groups.google.com/group/alt.mus ... aa7deee50b
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: All Good People and bass doubling

Post by jps »

I am listening to the studio version, now, and I don't hear that. Of course there are lots of places where Steve is playing a similar part but I am sure that is not what you are referring to, right?

See, you got a reply this time round! :mrgreen:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Miguel, I just downloaded the remastered version and listening on the notebook speakers, just the left channel, it indeed sounds like a guitar is playing exactly what Chris is playing on the bass. I will listen on good headphones when I get home to verify.

A.M.Y...... Now there is a blast from the past and I saw many old names I remember. Those were the days. Mid-90s for me when I found it. I wonder what ever happened to Sully.....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:Miguel, I just downloaded the remastered version and listening on the notebook speakers, just the left channel, it indeed sounds like a guitar is playing exactly what Chris is playing on the bass.
Send that to me, I need to hear that!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:
johnallg wrote:Miguel, I just downloaded the remastered version and listening on the notebook speakers, just the left channel, it indeed sounds like a guitar is playing exactly what Chris is playing on the bass.
Send that to me, I need to hear that!
Check your email.....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Listening to it now, thanks!!! :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Oh, that part! I always just thought it was another part that Steve played to fill out the stereo spread.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

I'm glad to see much more replies here :) and many of you confirm that a guitar is playing the same bass line.
It's not always exactly a parallel octave (nor is Roundabout, although the differences are minimal) but it seems to my ears that it's Chris' style of playing.
Indeed there is other guitar played by Steve which does a different sort of work but has a very similar tone (and it may be the same instrument).

I found a.m.y. about the time I had access to internet (also mid 90's) and it was a boom of information for me because there was no press in Portugal writing about Yes. It was wonderful until it started being a Yes-bash center - in a way it always was, but in acceptable proportions, until it became impossible to find anything interesting. Two or three CDs were organized featuring tracks from members and I played in the first one :)

Miguel
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Miguel, on the computer speakers (left/right/woofer), when I turn the woofer tone to all the way treble, I hear a guitar playing exactly what Chris is playing. I believe it is him as the hand effects and accenting are the same. If I start to roll the control to more bass, you start to hear his bass part and they are the same, as humanly possible. The guitar part I'm talking about is in both channels, as the bass is. Whoever mixed this brought in just enough guitar to be barely noticeable, to fill, not stand out.

I agree with your accessment of A.M.Y. It went downhill to become too much negativity for me. Eventually I decided to get a Rick bass and found the RRF. A.M.Y. is where I heard of the 4001CS model though. I didn't pursue as it was years later and I felt they all would have been sold. Wrong I was and Dumb I was also not to look for one. :lol:
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Yes bashing, or any band bashing in general is what keeps me off almost any other music forum. So much negativity, who needs it? Especially in the case of bands like Yes who have always written about more positive things, makes me wonder why so many of their followers have taken the low road with the negativity, insults etc... I didn't care for Rush's music in the 80's but don't go around looking to insult others over it. Life's too short.

Miguel, as always, your observations and insight into Chris' playing and recordings have forced me to go back and listen to things I've played a million times, but am still able to hear new things and learn from it. Thanks for sharing your findings here and thanks also for always presenting them in such a pleasant and entertaining manner.

As for you, John, go get yourself that CS. Or, as I did, build your own. Mine was approved by the master himself after he played some blazing riffs on it.

To the negativity seekers :wink: , my favorite line applies: "Never try to teach a pig to sing.... (you know the rest)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I know what you mean,Jim, i still have emotional scars from a chance encounter on a Yes facebook page with a RABID female New York Yes fan/haint.....it was not pretty!(but then,neither was she)
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

woodyng wrote:I know what you mean,Jim, i still have emotional scars from a chance encounter on a Yes facebook page with a RABID female New York Yes fan/haint.....it was not pretty!(but then,neither was she)
:lol: I know what you mean, Woody, so I just stay away from all Yes and music related topics within FB and other social media. They'll never be happy.

Folks, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all. I don't get here as much as I used to due to increasing work load, but I do keep watch. I'll see you all in 2013, hoping for a new Yes CD with this much energized new lineup, (while still holding out dim hope for a true reunion of some past members)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Happy Holidays Jim & Donna! 8)
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:Happy Holidays Jim & Donna! 8)
+1 :D

Jim, if I got a CS or made one, I'd have to take bass lessons to really learn how to play it. :lol:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

johnallg wrote:
jps wrote:Happy Holidays Jim & Donna! 8)
+1 :D

Jim, if I got a CS or made one, I'd have to take bass lessons to really learn how to play it. :lol:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Seriously, John? I've heard you play, I think you'd do it justice without any help. 8)

BTW, how is that MG 4001 that you brought to RIO? THAT bass can make any player sound a little better!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”