All Good People and bass doubling

The genius of Chris Squire
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: All Good People and bass doubling

Post by johnallg »

just_bassics wrote:
johnallg wrote:
jps wrote:Happy Holidays Jim & Donna! 8)
+1 :D

Jim, if I got a CS or made one, I'd have to take bass lessons to really learn how to play it. :lol:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Seriously, John? I've heard you play, I think you'd do it justice without any help. 8)

BTW, how is that MG 4001 that you brought to RIO? THAT bass can make any player sound a little better!
Still singing up a storm. I just had it out last week for the week.

And thank you, you are too kind. :oops: :)
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

I took the opportunity to ask Chris about this subject via the "Ask YES" internet interview and he was very king to have answered to my question and to questions from other fans.

(quoting)

Miguel Falcão
Dear Chris. You mentioned on interviews about ‘Roundabout‘ bass line being doubled by yourself playing a guitar. It seems to me that you might have applied the same technique previously on ‘All Good People‘. Can you confirm this? Thank you.
No, the bass guitar on ‘All Good People’ was not doubled, as far as I can remember; I think that’s purely just a bass guitar. But you are indeed correct that ‘Roundabout’ was me doubling the bass line with a big Gibson electric guitar that belonged to Steve Howe.

(end of quote)

So, we must conclude that it was Steve Howe playing that doubling guitar :)

Here is the link to all the questions and answers

http://yesworld.com/2013/04/ask-yes-fri ... is-squire/

Miguel
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I saw that FB post,some good questions were asked. (Including yours) :wink:
Ps quite a few people were fed up with the negative posts and started a closed-group facebook page called "yes fans tolerant of all incarnations",where bashing of any kind is not tolerated and members can be ejected for said offense. It is a great place get and share Yes info.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Yes, I noticed your question there Miguel. Good work!

And Woody, I cannot imagine how nice a group of pleasant and non-negative YES fans would be. What a lovely concept!
Michael4bass

Post by Michael4bass »

I believe that Squire is correct, there's not a double on the bass. This is the record that Eddy Offord really started to get Squire's sound to come through on tape. I think what he did was to use two channels and eq'd one of just the high end to blend with the main bass sound and that's what you're hearing. I wish someone could get the multi-tracks of The Yes Album, Fragile and CttE, the maybe we would could figure it out.

Bassically, Michael
1973 4001 MG
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Michael4bass wrote:I believe that Squire is correct, there's not a double on the bass. This is the record that Eddy Offord really started to get Squire's sound to come through on tape. I think what he did was to use two channels and eq'd one of just the high end to blend with the main bass sound and that's what you're hearing. I wish someone could get the multi-tracks of The Yes Album, Fragile and CttE, the maybe we would could figure it out.

Bassically, Michael
Hello Michael. I still think it's a guitar there. The EQ is trebley, yes, but the notes themselves are an octave higher. It could still be a bass, providing it had the high E (then it would be the 21-fret Rickenbacker) but really it sounds to me that Chris (or Steve, after Chris' reply) is playing more or less the same (equivalent) patterns on a six-string guitar. I don't think it's played on the upper neck of a bass guitar. Just my opinion. The notes are not 100% doubling the bass. I spotted one or two bits where the (hypothetical) guitar plays some different passages.

Miguel
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

I know, from both Steve's old interviews and what my ears can hear, that the rhythm guitar part is doubled on that track. I need to go back and do a split channel listen to pin down exactly what Miguel is hearing, but my guess is that Miguel has picked up one of Steve's overdubs which may closely follow the bassline. I've also learned to trust Miguel on these matters as his ability to break these things down is uncanny. If it were up to me, Miguel, I'd have you working for the man! All he'd really have to do is commission your work and then approve or modify your transcriptions, then we'd know all of his secrets!

Wait, maybe that's what he doesn't want....
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

just_bassics wrote:I know, from both Steve's old interviews and what my ears can hear, that the rhythm guitar part is doubled on that track. I need to go back and do a split channel listen to pin down exactly what Miguel is hearing, but my guess is that Miguel has picked up one of Steve's overdubs which may closely follow the bassline. I've also learned to trust Miguel on these matters as his ability to break these things down is uncanny. If it were up to me, Miguel, I'd have you working for the man! All he'd really have to do is commission your work and then approve or modify your transcriptions, then we'd know all of his secrets!

I was trying to come up with the language to say what you said, JB!
I especially agree about Miguel's ability to suss out parts and yes, can you imagine the combo of Chris and Miguel? I'd like to be the fly on the wall listening to those work sessions!
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

I think I would remain scared speechless in front of Chris and forget about all the interesting questions :D As it happened the few times I was near him :) But back in 2011 I did ask him about the bass used on The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be and Chris was very kind and answered me :)

Miguel
Billsbro wrote:
just_bassics wrote:I know, from both Steve's old interviews and what my ears can hear, that the rhythm guitar part is doubled on that track. I need to go back and do a split channel listen to pin down exactly what Miguel is hearing, but my guess is that Miguel has picked up one of Steve's overdubs which may closely follow the bassline. I've also learned to trust Miguel on these matters as his ability to break these things down is uncanny. If it were up to me, Miguel, I'd have you working for the man! All he'd really have to do is commission your work and then approve or modify your transcriptions, then we'd know all of his secrets!

I was trying to come up with the language to say what you said, JB!
I especially agree about Miguel's ability to suss out parts and yes, can you imagine the combo of Chris and Miguel? I'd like to be the fly on the wall listening to those work sessions!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

For one example of the lines being different listen the the passage starting about 4:07. This is a guitar part, very clearly, not an octave up (however it would have been done) bass line, regardless of who actually played it.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”