The lowdown on the triple-neck.

The genius of Chris Squire
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

The lowdown on the triple-neck.

Post by kiramdear »

Chris just posted this to his facebook page.
PaulS. wrote and asked me about my triple-neck bass and I thought I would post my answer here. It might interest someone else.

Thanks for the message. Originally, the triple-neck bass was made by an english guitar maker going under the name Wal. It was made for Rick Wakeman's bass player for the period of Rick promoting his Journey to the Center of the Earth album. But at some point, Rick gave it to me.

However, this is not the bass that is currently being used as the original was sold in a charity auction to the Hard Rock Cafe back in the 80's and can be seen in various HRC's around the world as they tend to rotate their collection.

The current triple-neck bass that I use is a copy of the original made by Japanese guitar maker Kid's which comes on the road with me every time we perform Awaken from Going For the One.

Hope this was informative.

CS
Now, I didn't know that.
All I wanna do is rock!
Fretjob

Re: The lowdown on the triple-neck.

Post by Fretjob »

Some more background info on it at the following links.

http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/early_years.html (A quarter of the way down the page)

http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/specs3.html (A quarter of the way down the page)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I saw Roger Newell play the original Wal in 1975 when Rick did his King Arthur tour. I sat right in front of Roger at the edge of the stage and was amazed the whole time! We got the meet Roger and Rick and spent some time with them after the show back at their hotel. :D
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

jps wrote: We got the meet Roger and Rick and spent some time with them after the show back at their hotel. :D
I bet your liver has never quite recovered....

Eden.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Fretjob wrote:Some more background info on it at the following links.

http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/early_years.html (A quarter of the way down the page)

http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/specs3.html (A quarter of the way down the page)
Nice site!! I've played this one: http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/entwistleJG.html Thanks to a very generous Mike. :)

Yeah, I'm bragging..... :oops:
Last edited by johnallg on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

kiramdear wrote:Chris just posted this to his facebook page.
PaulS. wrote and asked me about my triple-neck bass and I thought I would post my answer here. It might interest someone else.

Thanks for the message. Originally, the triple-neck bass was made by an english guitar maker going under the name Wal. It was made for Rick Wakeman's bass player for the period of Rick promoting his Journey to the Center of the Earth album. But at some point, Rick gave it to me.

However, this is not the bass that is currently being used as the original was sold in a charity auction to the Hard Rock Cafe back in the 80's and can be seen in various HRC's around the world as they tend to rotate their collection.

The current triple-neck bass that I use is a copy of the original made by Japanese guitar maker Kid's which comes on the road with me every time we perform Awaken from Going For the One.

Hope this was informative.

CS
Now, I didn't know that.
Thanks!! :)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Apparently, It has been used on only one song.
Chris Squire

As for if I have ever used the triple-neck bass for any other song than Awaken.... the answer is No. It is tailored for the specifications required for that song.
All I wanna do is rock!
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

And they have only used for live versions of Awaken.
I believe the studio version is the 4008, the RM1999 or the Jazz and a fretless bass (the guild perhaps).

When Roger Newell had it the short neck was tuned as a guitar (it is a guitar neck afterall) and Chris has had it changed to 3 octave pairs (aA, dD, gG I think) to mimic the high up chiming bit in the middle of Awaken..

The Kids bass looks a little different than the original Wal (pickup positioning and angles) but you have to look...

Eden.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

I love the throwaway line from Rick Wakeman about Chris now using a "lighter, cheaper copy". Hiroshigi Kid's is a low-volume high-end maker. I suspect the copy may be of even better quality than the original.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

antipodean wrote:I love the throwaway line from Rick Wakeman about Chris now using a "lighter, cheaper copy". Hiroshigi Kid's is a low-volume high-end maker. I suspect the copy may be of even better quality than the original.
Words of a grumpy old man hey!

Eden.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Such an amazing instrument.

And THE highlight of the YES tour in 2012 was seeing them play "Awaken." They did a great job on it and I watched Chris through the binocs much of the time as he moved around the three necks. It was a very powerful experience and it made me recall the other times I saw them play it, especially the "Going for the One" tour in 1977. Very cool!
Fretjob

Post by Fretjob »

Actually, i din't realise that the triple neck thing had already been done back in 1906.
Attachments
Spotted in Milan Music Museum  -1906
Spotted in Milan Music Museum -1906
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

From guitarsjapan.com:

Kid’s
One man started Kid’s with a desire to make the most amazing one-off guitars in the history of the Japanese guitar
market. He used woods that are next to impossible to get (my gold Lenny Kravitz Flying V replica has real Korina wood)
on many of his models. He made Gibson, Fender and Zemaitis replicas and custom one-off guitars as well. His guitars
are regarded by the Japanese as one of the best and most rare brands of all Japanese vintage guitars.
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
seabass

Post by seabass »

What do you think that thing weighs? Methinks one song per night would be quite enough!
s4001

Post by s4001 »

this has probably already been posted but it's worth the watch

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”