Where to begin?

The genius of Chris Squire
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Where to begin?

Post by johnallg »

rickinroma wrote:
JakeK wrote:There are a number of tracks by the Kinks, Rolling Stones, Who, Byrds and Petty I've listened to that are almost as good as the hits or even more so. There've got to be some Yes tunes that are in that league?
Hi Jake
My opinion is that from someone who's been used to the quintessential typical 60s classic rock and pop-rock standards you have just indicated, and having his ears and tastes set in that way, approaching YES starting from stuff like Fragile, Close To The Edge and (oh my God) what followed the latter, may be a little bit indigestible....
Try to play Tales From Topographic Oceans for a couple of times, and then you will just feel the desire to hear early Beach Boys or Beatles albums for at least 10 consecutive days 24/7 to detoxify yourself :lol:
The evolution of the Yes music is comparable to the Beatles to some extent, meaning that every album they published from the 1st one onwards was always different, and in the case of YES, less catchy from the previous one, and getting more and more sophysticated, maybe too much self-indulgent and more focused on the execution of complex and intricated arrangements that extended the song format up to its limits....strictly speaking about the original classic YES Band (in the 60-70s) the more you proceed ahead along their career from the beginning, the less you will find tunes to whistle and keep in your head....
Being said that, I believe that a "safe" approch would suggest to start in cronological order....
- YES
- TIME AND A WORD
- THE YES ALBUM
- FRAGILE
- CLOSE TO THE EDGE
Francesco, I must respectfully disagree, or better still, offer a different viewpoint. The evolving complexity of Yes' music as their careers in music progressed is what makes it worthwhile. I do not see it as self-indulgent but evolving the capability to realize the music in their souls. Everyone is entitled to their likes and opinions; I just wanted to add a different perspective. :)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I agree with you both! Having done the chronological thing AS IT OCCURRED, i could agree with that approach. :mrgreen: I also thought it was great the way every new Yes offering one-upped the last one,and only loved that things got more complex as they went along. Prior to getting into Rock music,i was a big instrumental music geek,from classical and jazz to pop, And i find most of TFTO imminently hummable,too.......
Still,a novice could do no worse than going with the 3 albums YES is touring with currently...the yes album,close to the edge,and going for the one....
mikeyesfan

Post by mikeyesfan »

I would start with Fly From Here and work Backwards.hahaha
Magnification #2 to listen to..
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

You have gotten all the great classics mentioned, but I would even suggest starting with "The Ladder".

You can almost consider that a modern Fragile. Got some really nice stuff on there, just more modern and edgy.

I'm over due to break out the vinyl and spin up Fragile!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Just bought Fragile five seconds ago. Watch this space for my review...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

JakeK wrote:Just bought Fragile five seconds ago. Watch this space for my review...
Let us know if you think we'll like that album. :wink: :P :twisted: :mrgreen: :wink:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:
JakeK wrote:Just bought Fragile five seconds ago. Watch this space for my review...
Let us know if you think we'll like that album. :wink: :P :twisted: :mrgreen: :wink:
Oh, you're such a card, such a card..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Hopin' he is still blown away by Fragile!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Amazon shipped the package on Wednesday...should be here Monday-Tuesday. I'm excited. I drove my family and friends crazy with my love and constant playing The Beatles, Stones, Tom Petty, The Who and The Kinks, I hope they can forgive me if I dig YES :twisted:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

My copy of Fragile arrived today. I'm very impressed with it. "Roundabout" is probably my favorite song on there at the moment, but I'm sure that will change. Hope you all won't mind if I become a Yes-head! :twisted:

What's next? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

JakeK wrote:My copy of Fragile arrived today. I'm very impressed with it. "Roundabout" is probably my favorite song on there at the moment, but I'm sure that will change. Hope you all won't mind if I become a Yes-head! :twisted:

What's next? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Don't you mean "Who's Next"? :mrgreen:
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Close To The Edge 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

kiramdear wrote:Close To The Edge 8)
Yup, then The Yes Album.

I'm also going to get a LOT of flack for this but I find Roundabout to be very tired and I never was that enamored with it when it came out. Flame on! :lol:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Oh no you di'n't!! :lol:
I still love the "along the drifting clouds" section, and RW's solo is one of his classic best moments.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Yes, certainly repetition can have the potential to damage a song for some people but an outstanding and complex piece like Roundabout always is worth a listen. I have never turned the dial when that comes on (which is more than I can say for so many other "Classic Rock" stalwarts).

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”