Rig Rundown - Yes' Chris Squire & Steve Howe

The genius of Chris Squire
pag
Intermediate Member

Re: Rig Rundown - Yes' Chris Squire & Steve Howe

Post by pag »

Roger Newell from Rick Wakemans English Rock Ensemble had the triple neck bass originally.
The "Portuguese" guitar is a Spanish laud.
Attachments
SanchisLaudandcase.gif
Triple Neck Roger Newell.jpg
Triple Neck Roger Newell.jpg (8.72 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Roger was a really nice guy; we used to meet up and visit when he came to Town to play a gig. Very down to Earth person. 8) I first saw and met him in early '75, when he was playing the original triple neck WAL. :D
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Other interesting fact is that Chris said that the treble pickup has a very low output - it's funny that my old Rickenbacker 4001 Jetglo was like that. MY CS model, however, has a very high output treble pickup.

Miguel
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

miguelbass wrote:Other interesting fact is that Chris said that the treble pickup has a very low output - it's funny that my old Rickenbacker 4001 Jetglo was like that. MY CS model, however, has a very high output treble pickup.

Miguel
The low output was probably due to the HS magnets losing power, seem to remember he didn't like the sound after they had been re charged. But as I pointed out earlier, that's not a 64 bobbin in there, could they have given him a HS re issue pup (11k ish and powerful pole magnets), because that's what it looks like in the clip.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Seans wrote:
miguelbass wrote:Other interesting fact is that Chris said that the treble pickup has a very low output - it's funny that my old Rickenbacker 4001 Jetglo was like that. MY CS model, however, has a very high output treble pickup.

Miguel
The low output was probably due to the HS magnets losing power, seem to remember he didn't like the sound after they had been re charged. But as I pointed out earlier, that's not a 64 bobbin in there, could they have given him a HS re issue pup (11k ish and powerful pole magnets), because that's what it looks like in the clip.
Since he is saying the treble pup is weak, it points to the old pickup shoes being weak in magnetism. I have purposely looked at the horseshoe pickup in every picture it is in since late 2005 because at the House of Blues RIC 75th Anniversary celebration he was talking with Kenny (when he was doing Customer Service for RIC) and asked if he could get a couple RIHS pickups from RIC and Kenny said yes. I have not spotted one on the RM since then, so if you have a pic of the RM with an RIHS I'd really like to see it. Sure it isn't Chris's 4001CS?
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

johnallg wrote:
Seans wrote:

Miguel
Since he is saying the treble pup is weak, it points to the old pickup shoes being weak in magnetism. I have purposely looked at the horseshoe pickup in every picture it is in since late 2005 because at the House of Blues RIC 75th Anniversary celebration he was talking with Kenny (when he was doing Customer Service for RIC) and asked if he could get a couple RIHS pickups from RIC and Kenny said yes. I have not spotted one on the RM since then, so if you have a pic of the RM with an RIHS I'd really like to see it. Sure it isn't Chris's 4001CS?
I just mean the bobbin ( a RIHS bobbin works with either shoes), in the video the bobbin has a radius profile to the ends like a RI bobbin. Having watched the footage again, I'm sticking with a RI bobbin.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Seans wrote:
johnallg wrote:
Seans wrote:The low output was probably due to the HS magnets losing power, seem to remember he didn't like the sound after they had been re charged. But as I pointed out earlier, that's not a 64 bobbin in there, could they have given him a HS re issue pup (11k ish and powerful pole magnets), because that's what it looks like in the clip.
I just mean the bobbin ( a RIHS bobbin works with either shoes), in the video the bobbin has a radius profile to the ends like a RI bobbin. Having watched the footage again, I'm sticking with a RI bobbin.
Off to watch again.... :lol:

Sean, you are right. That is a RIHS bobbin with the alnico5 rods in it inside the old shoes. For me, that explains why the bass doesn't sound the same as it used to. Most interesting.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”