"South Side of The Sky" - bass cover video

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

"South Side of The Sky" - bass cover video

Post by miguelbass »

As Jon Anderson told, sometimes it was the sound of the words, rather than their meaning. Although this song is supposed to be about mountain climbing, I always found another meaning for me - the southern sky constellations - those that I rarely see or have never seen - their mysteries and history through the ages. Most of the images are from starrynightphotos.com.

I used the Fender Telecaster bass, from a good friend - I had some doubts whether I could do an acceptable tone without the extra pickup but a fresh set of Rotosounds always help :)

Hope you like it!

Miguel
http://www.miguelbass.com
s4001

Re: "South Side of The Sky" - bass cover video

Post by s4001 »

Lovely tune and you've done your usual justice to it. Look forward to the next one 8)
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Very nicely done Miguel!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well done! Perfect!
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

miguelbass wrote:
I used the Fender Telecaster bass, from a good friend - I had some doubts whether I could do an acceptable tone without the extra pickup but a fresh set of Rotosounds always help :)
Miguel
It certainly does! Chris's tele bass had the old single coil mid body pickup placement,as well as the added j bass bridge pickup,but even with your borrowed bass's "mudbucker" neck pickup, fresh strings and a strong picking action near the bridge doe the tone trick! Sounds fabulous!!
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

woodyng wrote:
miguelbass wrote:
Miguel
It certainly does! Chris's tele bass had the old single coil mid body pickup placement,as well as the added j bass bridge pickup,but even with your borrowed bass's "mudbucker" neck pickup, fresh strings and a strong picking action near the bridge doe the tone trick! Sounds fabulous!!
Hi Woody,

The bass itself has an amazingly high level output! It would distort the sansamp right away on its input (The BDDI has no input level) so I remembered to use a limiter , an old-new Boss LM-2 I got from ebay some years ago and never quite used before. That allowed me to control my dynamics, being able to pick aggressively, as you said, and saving my dynamic range. I also added a bit more "presence" and "treble" on the sansamp. Quite a lovely bass, I wish it was mine :D

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

Miguel
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Thanks, Miguel, just finished watching. Great as always and thanks for making it easier and enjoyable to learn these bits.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Wonderful! Your playing and production always:

impresses me
makes the genius of Mr. Squire more apparent
inspires me
and despite the focus on the bass, makes me appreciate all of the elements of the song more fully.

Well done, Miguel!
THANK YOU!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Just had a chance to listen to this and over good speakers. As usual, you got it Miguel. You play it a little differently than I do; correctly and a whole lot better! :lol:
ram

Post by ram »

The first Yes tune I fell in love with... I was transported .......... thanks Miguel!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
pekka

Post by pekka »

Great playing as always 'though I'd like to hear you playing it with a Jazz Bass too as it has pickup placements like on Chris' Telecaster but you can do another take.;) Or better, please do "Lucky Seven" next!

Is that a Fender? I've never seen a Telecaster Bass (single coil or post '72 mudbucker version) with a rosewood fingerboard. Modded perhaps?

Telecaster and original single coil Precision bass necks are my favourites. I have a Tele Bass made by Ville Tyyster and the neck (measured from a '51 P-bass) is the best. I'd love to have one with an added bridge pickup but I'm not going to mod mine so maybe it's time for another new bass project. Just don't tell my wife... :wink:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbkv9g4ojokxk ... caster.jpg
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

The info from the guitar dater project site is:
Your guitar was made at the
Fullerton Plant (Fender - CBS Era), USA
in the Year(s): 1972

The fingerboard looks original and the owner said it was all original but I wouldn't be able to tell for myself - it looks original to me.
In fact he owns another one, red, maple neck and with an extra pickup - maybe he will let me try it for another video :)

Miguel
pekka wrote:Great playing as always 'though I'd like to hear you playing it with a Jazz Bass too as it has pickup placements like on Chris' Telecaster but you can do another take.;) Or better, please do "Lucky Seven" next!

Is that a Fender? I've never seen a Telecaster Bass (single coil or post '72 mudbucker version) with a rosewood fingerboard. Modded perhaps?

Telecaster and original single coil Precision bass necks are my favourites. I have a Tele Bass made by Ville Tyyster and the neck (measured from a '51 P-bass) is the best. I'd love to have one with an added bridge pickup but I'm not going to mod mine so maybe it's time for another new bass project. Just don't tell my wife... :wink:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbkv9g4ojokxk ... caster.jpg
lucky

Post by lucky »

My favourite Yes song Thank you Miguel.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

And Pekka speaks for me...I too would love to see you tackle Lucky Seven or any other tune on "Fish Out of Water."

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”