T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Re: Well This Was Fun

Post by T.A.R. »

Wow! Thanks John and Jeff 8)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

This is from the "no hiss" dvd,right? Absolutely essential IMHO. I love the acoustic versions they did of these songs on the 35th anniversary tour,and really enjoyed hearing what the guys added to Jon's "show me" solo song,as well as the new RW solo piano intro for SSOTS,and Steve's dobro/slide work on that. I believe that Martin bass that Chris is playing is a fretless as well.(?) i did get to see the 35th tour show in a brand new amphitheater in Atlanta,which was the last big scale show i saw them do.
Edit,listening to these tracks,they appear to be alternate takes from what wound up on the dvd,which is really cool,because the performances are done differently.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

woodyng wrote:I believe that Martin bass that Chris is playing is a fretless as well.(?)
I noticed that, too, if so, Chris did a great job with it. 8) Nice tone, also.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I don't know how to grab a frame from the video, but on my big monitor @ work full screen the bass has frets, or maybe (?) lines.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I saw the lines but they seems to be black so I will have to look again. For vid screen capture I pause the video and do a normal screen capture.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:I saw the lines but they seems to be black so I will have to look again. For vid screen capture I pause the video and do a normal screen capture.
Look on Roundabout at 1:10 to 1:15 and you will see shiny frets.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Yes, looks like there are frets.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

You know,i can't find any info on Chris's Martin,and it is entirely possible that he was using signal processing to achieve a fretless sound. It worked,if that was the case,it certainly fooled me!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”