Fortune Seller (audio bass clip)

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

Fortune Seller (audio bass clip)

Post by miguelbass »

Hello everyone,

I made a YouTube clip out of an old audio bass cover I had played back in 2001. That's what happens when you have little time for more!
It's Fortune Seller from OYE. I left some notes about the song at my blog, which I now copy here. Hope you enjoy this one!

http://miguelbass.com/2013/09/15/fortun ... ***-audio/

"This is one of my old bassline attempts from back in 2001. Fortune Seller has always been on of my favourite tunes in “Open Your Eyes”. The song is very dominated by it’s bass riff which, to me, has a strange “odd-meter” feel, although in reality it’s in plain 4/4.

The effects applied were also notable since flanger and octaver effects were rarely used by Chris with his Rickenbacker (more often with his MPC Electra on Cinema, Leave It or City Of Love). However, on the Open Your Eyes album, especially the flanger was used on some other tracks: Open Your Eyes (Rickenbacker) and Wonderlove (flanger and octaver, maybe here it’s really the Electra)."

Miguel
ram

Re: Fortune Seller (audio bass clip)

Post by ram »

Very nice Miguel! I like the tools and their settings (notations also)... they are a nice touch.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Very interesting,i always thought he was using the Ranney for that track,it's a very good octave effect!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

What a great performance and clip, Miguel. Once more I am stunned by your thoroughness and artistry with the bass and with the video side of things.
And most impressive is that you constantly seem to be able to make me admire Chris' work even more than I already do!

Thanks so much!
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Thanks for posting that, I had never heard it in such clarity. I always thought it was akin to 7/8 vs 4/4.

Actually a very clever bass lick!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”