jps
RRF Consultant

To Be Over-1975

Post by jps »

RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Re: To Be Over-1975

Post by RickyBubba »

Great DVD, got it for Christmas last year. Hmm….might have to spin that up on New Years eve with a few brews!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Is the audio quality better on the DVD? None of the youtube vids are much good.

I saw Yes 4 times during that time period, all with PM; I don't know why people diss him, he brought some cool jazz fusion to the table and they all created great music with Pat.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Damn.... Chris in the We go Sailing... part is singing great harmony and playing a bass part totally separate and syncopated and without flaw. Damn.

So love this song.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Dig Chris' boots!
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Ok, been spending too much time on FB.....I was looking for the LIKE button! ;)
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

This footage is part of a concert filmed by the BBC for The Old Grey Whistle Test.
When the programme was aired only small parts of the gig were shown and I would imagine that
is the reason that the mix isnt good on various songs because the Beeb didnt need them.
From "Long Distance Runaround" (about half way on) the reverb is there and it sounds like a true mix and "Ritual" is superb.
The first half sounds like a monitor mix with PFL buttons being pressed in and out as on "Soundchaser".

As with most Yes stuff,its difficult to get a definitive answer as to the whereabouts of the original
tapes (BBC?) or if there was a stereo recording of the FOH mix done by the guys on the desk for YES which would be
needed to dub the correct mix to the video.

Bands in the mid 70s should have allowed the audience to record whatever they liked then we might have
had a better archive of the time.

This, and the BBC Tommy Vance Show recording of Yes at Wembley 1978 should get an official release.
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

pag wrote:This, and the BBC Tommy Vance Show recording of Yes at Wembley 1978 should get an official release.
It's available at Amazon in two parts, though not cheap: http://www.amazon.com/1975-at-Q-P-R-1-L ... ds=yes+qpr

Has special memories for me as i was there. The sound on the day was superb but whoever taped it had all sorts of problems with the sound until about half way through the gig.

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I was at the Wembley gigs too.
A friend of mine recorded the radio programme at the time and gave me a copy on cassette then later cds and internet downloads started
so its freely available as is the video of QPR.
As I mentioned before,coming from Manchester rather than going to Loftus Rd. in London, I opted to see Yes at the Stoke City stadium....which was stopped short due to heavy rain breaking through the awning during the Yes set.

What would be better for everyone would be Yes getting their live recordings together as a properly produced
release.

But like aluminium bridge/tailpieces its not going to happen.
Attachments
Yes Wembley tkts.jpg
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Those are some cool ticket stubs! 5 pounds to boot. Steep or normal back then?

I have the DVDs, and as folks said, the audio isn't great in the beginning but gets better. Still glad I have them though.

I didn't get to see yes until the Union tour, but I have all my stubs since then. Should dig them out. Most have been around $30 to $35 range.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Thats slightly dearer than a concert in Manchester would have been (if we had a venue like Wembley),the price of tickets having
doubled in three years since the £2.50 tickets for QPR and Stoke City footbal grounds in '75 due to good old 70s inflation....er,..rip off I mean.

At the time of the Wembley Yes 10th anniversary gigs in 1978,there were no large indoor arenas like Wembley (Empire Pool) fit for gigs outside London.
I saw Yes,Pink Floyd and David Bowie (on different nights!) at the Bingley Hall in Staffordshire in 1977 but that was a livestock auction
warehouse not a concert venue and it was pretty grim but the music was so good you didnt notice too much.

After touring the USA in the 70s,British rock bands were getting used to raking in the cash from the stadia over there.
Here in England outside London we lost out to a degree since the big bands wouldnt
play places like Manchester Free Trade Hall anymore because they were too small to make a killing.
To make matters worse,we didnt have the luxury of a concert video of the tour in those days either and in retrospect thats where Yes,Led Zep,Floyd etc.
have lost out in the long term by not making any decent concert films of that '74-'79 period which could have sold over again
in different formats.

Playing at a football ground like QPR at Loftus Rd.London or Old Trafford and Maine Rd. in Manchester (Man Utd and Man City) meant bigger
gates but there was the 1st Division football season and the British weather to contend with.

I went to Stoke the week after QPR and we got drenched all day,it was cold and eventually the rain got into the rear of the stage so it was game over halfway through the Yes set.
(Jon Anderson promised us that Yes would come back and do a free concert for us.....still waiting Jon!
I bet Brian Lane was doing his nut about that prospect)

All in all things are much better these days and often you can leave a gig with an official CD from the desk on the same night.
Such a pity there was so much paranoia about audience photos films and audio recordings in the 70s.
Blame Peter Grant and Led Zep I suppose.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Oh,
Yes did play at Manchester Palace Theatre in April 1975, but they couldnt get all the large stage set
in the small theatres at the time so that kind of put paid to those tours too.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”