New Album and New American Tour

The genius of Chris Squire
woodyng

Re: New Album and New American Tour

Post by woodyng »

With Amazon CD purchases,they also give immediate access to the downloaded "cloud" version. So,while waiting for my cd to arrive,i've been listening today. Even the cloud sound is a big improvement over the leaked versions i had listened to previously. Overall,the album is very good. I love tracks 1-4-6-8,which also make a great 1/2 Yes album sequence. On the poppier cuts,I prefer "all we knew",find "world" rather Aimee Mann-ish,and really hate "the game" and "step beyond". So,that's actually a pretty good score for a modern Yes album.
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

After spinning it twice at home last night on the stereo, I'm still mixed about it.

One thing that seems to be lacking in general are changes in dynamics. Didn't feel any real crescendos leading you to another place. If I didn't know better, I would think something happened to sideline Alan White, and they used what they had from some early takes. Sounds like he is playing in the neighbors house down the street. Way to muffled.

There are some great lyrics and vocals, but in one aspect it seems to just be about the vocals. Not a thing so far has made me want to go grab my bass. Hate to think our friend Miquel won't have a thing to inspire one of his great cover vids.

A couple of the songs just don't work for me at all.

Sure hate to be critical, but I wonder if them being on tour for 2+ years playing those great albums cover to cover made them REALLY want to do something different?

The liner notes are about the most plain and blah presentation I have seen in a while. I was hoping for a little more Roger Dean in there, but nothing.

And the dedications from the band members were very dry, and read more like advertisements for equipment. First time I have seen some of them put the equipment blah-blah ahead of family and friends. Steve shouldn't have put anything in.

Glad I got it at Best Buy for $10.

It just really pains me to write this. It really struck home when I was listening to it at work, and it finished and rolled over to "The Ladder". Now that was an album!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

I appreciate the respectful tone and approach of your review. Thank you!

Having not heard it yet (my copy is in the mail) I cannot yet comment or review.
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Thankfully some of it is starting to grow on me a little more!

By all means buy the album. Just a different direction for them.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

My copy showed up Monday and last night I finally had an opportunity to sit outside to listen. Conveniently, the meteor shower nicely gave me a light show to go along with the music. (Especially cool was looking skyward when I heard the lyrics about whether the answers are in the stars.)

One listen does not qualify me to write a full review so i will just say I was very impressed. All of the bad or mixed press about the album had my expectations very low. The most accurate thing i think i could say is that "it sounds like Yes." Not any particular album, just Yes. (They have so many albums that range all over the place. To me, Yes is somewhat like King Crimson in that one should never expect one album to sound like a previous one. Yes, like KC, is not a recipe for a specific dish but rather, a large list of ingredients in the kitchen that can be combined into any number of regional dishes or cuisines. You never know what you'll get but i always know it will be interesting!)

Lately, in my advanced age (wink) I approach music a bit differently than I did when i was a young blood...I am less concerned about expectations and forcing something into a little box. More important to me is whether music leaves me better off than before. This disc made me feel good, feel positive, and feel motivated. That is the sign of a good album, yes?

"I like it. I do think its good..."
--Adrian Belew

Like many people, so far the final track is my favorite.
I'll post a proper review a bit down the road.
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

What an awesome way to listen to a new album!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

So I had the good fortune of seeing Yes in Tucson on Monday night and in Mesa (Phoenix area) on Tuesday. Both shows were wonderful and it was interesting to compare and contrast. The Tucson show was in a small and old theater whereas the Mesa show was in the Ikeda Theater which holds about 1500 people and is beautiful. The bonus was that they filmed the Mesa show for "future broadcast and DVD release."

The first thing to stress is that Alan White did a fine job. He seemed to hit hard and the tempi were perfect. He looked more fit and walked off the riser without any apparent stiffness. He was the powerhouse of the band.

Jon was in fine form. He effortlessly handled the vocals. He amazed in "We Have Heaven." The forceful, high range vocals of the piece were flawless. The only issue on either night was in Mesa during the "I get up, I get down" section of "Close to the Edge." He apparently choked momentarily on "down" but quickly recovered and completed the section without any other issues. Like we all do from time to time I think he just swallowed wrong or had a frog in his throat. But it is clear that he continues to motivate and propel the band with his excellent and powerful vocals.

Geoff Downes is very comfortable with the material and he enjoyed himself. He uses all sorts of clever triggers and perfectly sequenced some backing tracks for "We Have Heaven" and "The Fish." The guy is on top of the tech world.

Professor Howe was absolutely spot on both nights. His "Mood for a Day" brought the house down and he clearly enjoyed the attention. There is no sign of any weakness or arthritis from this chap. He nailed all of his backing vocals too. He was in a great mood too...on Monday night he did the entire "Owner" encore with a huge sombrero on and then had his guitar techs laughing even more when he did the Hendrix "playing with his teeth" bit.

And of course, the Big Guy ruled the stage. He loves playing "in his hometown." Chris obviously is having a great time and his bass lines and pedals thundered. He really shined on "The Fish." He delighted in shaking the place with those single note bass bombs. The smile on his face during the piece was only surpassed by the grin when the crowd went crazy after the end of the solo. He basked in the standing ovation. And his vocals gave me chills. Especially on Monday night when his vocal mic was a bit hotter, his famously loud singing voice was killer. That was especially apparent in "The Game" from the new album.

And because of the filming on Tuesday, we got an additional encore. After "I've Seen All Good People" and "Owner..." the boys came out and did a full version of "Starship Trooper/The Wurm." Chris had another chance to take the front of the stage and vibrate us with his Rickenbacker.

They are even better than the last few tours and I encourage you to catch one of the remaining shows if you can.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Or if you can't,the San Jose concert is going to be broadcast on Yahoo Live next Tuesday evening/wednesday morning.(depending on your time zone). I plan to tune in!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Thanks, Woody!
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Stephen - great review, but it really makes me wonder how they are making any money packing in 1500 people? I bet most of the venues have averaged that?
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Good question.
I am afraid I have no clue how the equations work. Of course, to Joe Consumer, the ticket prices seem outrageously high. Therefore, I would hope there is enough to go around. Of course, those $45 Tee shirts are making SOMEONE money! LOL!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Oh, by the way, in addition to Squire's usual large cabinets, there was a big Line 6 amp...is that new for him?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Billsbro wrote:Oh, by the way, in addition to Squire's usual large cabinets, there was a big Line 6 amp...is that new for him?
Oh God, did Steve talk him into one of those C*RAP*P*Y digital modeling things?
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Well, Mr. Howe IS a Line 6 guy of course. I am quite sure Chris did not have a Line 6 last year.

But, his sound was superb this tour. His low notes have never sounded better.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

And speaking oif tech tricks...Geoff Downes is completely in control. His sequences for the tricky stuff (We Have Heaven, The Fish) were perfect.
And I loved how he played those mellotron (string) "stabs" in the first 3rd of Close to the Edge. He would trigger them by stepping on a pedal. He clearly got a kick out of that. I am not sure about this tour but last tour he also triggered things with a "D-Beam" (that is the Roland name for their light beam trigger) or something similar.

I love the gear! :)

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”