Going tonight. Very excited.
Billsbro

Re: New Album and New American Tour

Post by Billsbro »

We look forward to your review.
DevilsHandsAreAnIdolWorkshop

Post by DevilsHandsAreAnIdolWorkshop »

Oh, it was okay, but there were no clowns, no lions, no tigers, no bears, no candy floss, toffee apples... no clowns.

I couldn't resist.

I wrote a serious review here. I'll warn readers here the same as I did there, I'm a glass is 10% empty kind of person rather than 90% full, so be advised. You'll be hard pressed to find a Yes fan more die-hard than me, but... let's put it this way: Yes is largely responsible for dragging me by the nose into a higher musical plane a long long time ago, and now I'm turning those standards back on them.

Fans are happy that they're no longer the train wreck they were in recent years past. Me, too. But it says something that this is the basis on which they're frequently judged. I tried to be more objective than that.

I do, without hesitation, recommend any and all fans who may be ambivalent - go see them, it's a good show. It's not the circus of heaven come to town any more, for me. But it's still pretty good, and much better than the horror stories of the past. I like to put money in their pockets and let them hear my gratitude for a lifetime's worth of musical enjoyment with their own ears.

And, while I was writing over here, someone took a jab at me over there. I did and do welcome it, but let me do the latest internet thing and give everyone a trigger warning: if all you want to see is glowing positivity and gushing approval, don't read it. I enjoyed the show and I'm looking forward to seeing them close the tour on the 24th. Whatever criticisms I have don't change that.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Don't ever feel hesitant to state what you think. Most of us understand that we all approach the band in a unique way. Many of us do hold them to a high standard. Your opinion is very valid. Most importantly, none of us were at your show.

That is too bad your show had some sound issues. We could hear Steve very well in our AZ shows. But I don't quite know why you feel that he is hiding. I have seen the last 4 tours and my experience is that it was the keyboards that were most often too low in the mix..never Howe. Howe seems comfortable to me and proud of his current playing. He faced the audience the entire time and his demeanor said "look at me" to me.

I do disagree about Alan. I am a drummer and I for one could not have achieved the performance he gave. Did he play stronger and more aggressively in 1977? Absolutely! Yet I was very satisfied with his playing last week. Truly, a very talented and younger man could outplay him now but as of now I would still rather see Alan.

I do agree that Jon Davison's vocals are sometimes "too dear" (as I called it in my Tucson review on the YesFans site) or too "elfen" or "feminine" as you called it. But most of the time I am very satisfied with his approach. I noticed that the Monday show found him doing this approach in the first part of "And You and I" but the next night it was completely absent.

As is always the case, each night is different. I know that at times in my life I have been lucky enough to catch some artists at high points on good nights and other times I have been unlucky and seen some poor perfromances. The only cure is to catch multiple shows and that is beyond almost all of us.

Billsbro wrote:Don't ever feel hesitant to state what you think. Most of us understand that we all approach the band in a unique way. Many of us do hold them to a high standard. Your opinion is very valid. Most importantly, none of us were at your show.
Thank you.
That is too bad your show had some sound issues. We could hear Steve very well in our AZ shows.
I'm jealous. It seems like I've been nicked six times in a row now, so I finally said something. Howe's presence means a lot to me; if there's anyone I'd ever say No X - No Yes, it would be X = Howe. So, by coincidence or otherwise, in the shows I've happened to see, audibly it's been Steve half-there. At least when the entire band is playing. Obviously, the solo parts stand out nicely.
But I don't quite know why you feel that he is hiding.
I came to the idea before this particular show. It could be total BS. I don't think it's pervasive, more once in a while. But if that has any association with lowered volume, it bleeds over. There are times when he seems a little disengaged (or in pain, maybe) and purposely avoids something challenging even if the piece realistically calls for it. That's what I call 'tentative'; having to make a split-second decision - do I try this? - and either opting not to, or not quite pulling it off. This I understand and absolutely don't care about, I want him to just do whatever comes naturally and let it be prominent. That's what I'm nostalgic for. I'm genuinely glad your experience has been otherwise.
I have seen the last 4 tours and my experience is that it was the keyboards that were most often too low in the mix..never Howe. Howe seems comfortable to me and proud of his current playing. He faced the audience the entire time and his demeanor said "look at me" to me.
Yeah, I see that, too. Sometimes it's a look: "did you all catch that? wasn't that excellent?"
I do disagree about Alan. I am a drummer and I for one could not have achieved the performance he gave. Did he play stronger and more aggressively in 1977? Absolutely! Yet I was very satisfied with his playing last week. Truly, a very talented and younger man could outplay him now but as of now I would still rather see Alan.
For now, I'd rather see him, too.
I do agree that Jon Davison's vocals are sometimes "too dear" (as I called it in my Tucson review on the YesFans site) or too "elfen" or "feminine" as you called it. But most of the time I am very satisfied with his approach. I noticed that the Monday show found him doing this approach in the first part of "And You and I" but the next night it was completely absent.
"Too dear" is a great description. Happy to hear that it's sporadic and not the new groove. It's okay, though, it will work if need be.
As is always the case, each night is different. I know that at times in my life I have been lucky enough to catch some artists at high points on good nights and other times I have been unlucky and seen some poor perfromances. The only cure is to catch multiple shows and that is beyond almost all of us.
It looks like we've both been taking in shows to the extent reasonably possible - short of being "Deadheads" - and our experience on the mix is markedly different. The keys have been there - to the point where things would get a little stark whenever Geoff was not active. Just that thunder of bass, man... Squire remains mighty at all times. I find your experience to be heartening because it means it doesn't have to be this way with the sound every time.

I firmly believe the Line 6 amp (or alternately the way it's used) is a definite contributing factor to a lack of presence for Howe, all mix issues aside.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Oh yeah...that is what I forgot to mention: I am starting to feel that the Line 6 amp Steve uses is an issue. Of course, I see the advantages...one all-in-one box that is consistent and very controllable night after night and together with the Line 6 geetar he can leave several other axes and boxes at home. But at times the sound he gets is too clean and too consistent. In the old days, all that fiddling with the old gear meant that at times his sound was full and rich. But I guess it also meant that some nights the sound wasn't right so there are cons to the old gear too.

For sure. I understand the convenience, too. I think it'll just be a fact of life going forward.

Funny, I listened to a cellphone video of SSOTS posted in the YesFans thread, and you wouldn't think Howe was low in the mix. The low end is attenuated in the recording. Despite the poor fidelity, I'm getting a better exposure to what he played than I did there. I'd think it was my ears, but I go to quite a few shows of various sorts, and no.

Some follow-on thoughts.

Over at Yesfans I'm seeing a growing discontentment with Steve Howe's sour demeanor and prima donna attitude on stage and at meet and greets. I, too, am a bit bothered by this. Bear in mind I am talking about my all-time favorite guitarist...

He isn't that good anymore. There, I said it. I don't care what the reasons are; arthritis, general age-related decrepitude, whatever. Objectively, he has nowhere near the chops he used to have. When people say "Howe was on fire tonight", that is perhaps relative to the lousy performance he turned in the night before. THIS is "on fire":

This is not:

While I noticed I could hear Howe much better in that last YouTube video than at the very same show, I also noticed that the performance was by and large dull and uninspired. Really. By any standards, let alone a gallery of the greats (five-timer) in Guitar Player.

Before I'm castigated for committing the cardinal sin of comparing him to his youth - which I damn straight just did - consider this: I've seen a pretty substantial number of musicians lately who were in their prime back in the 70's. Steve Hackett, Carl Palmer, Allan Holdsworth, Robert Fripp, Stanley Clarke, Steve Morse, Ravi Shankar (92 and on his deathbed practically!!). And seen many others in video, like John McLaughlin, who's 5 years older than Howe. All of these people play as well or BETTER than they did back then, except Ravi, who was off the peak but still incredible.

Okay, so maybe none of these guys have arthritis. But, just to take it to ridiculous extremes, if his hands turned into gnarled, withered stumps totally locked up and frozen... would he still be playing? Would I still go see him? Haha, I'm kind of joking in poor taste; also kinda not. I probably would go see him, if he tried to play and looked like he was doing it at least partly out of love.

I have said that I'm happy to take his playing, mistakes and all, just want to hear it better. There is more to it than that, though, and it's only after reflection following this last show that some of this is dawning on me. Since when did he start strumming a guitar like Taylor Swift? I've got to admit, this bothers me! So, what this gets down to is - if going to see someone amounts to 75/25 personality/ability, it ought to be a likable personality. Which, increasingly, does not describe Howe. The type A shenanigans with his guitar tech, the crowd and individual fans is starting to wear thin, and bordering harshly on unprofessional. A funky attitude is sometimes hard to take from a virtuoso, more so from a former virtuoso.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Well,there's always "yessongs" if you feel the need for warp speed performances. :P i am watching (repeatedly,as it's playing for 24 hours) the SJC Yahoo show,and thoroughly enjoying the band's performances,and don't find Mr Howe to be wanting. I even like the Line 6.....it certainly isn't as frenetic sounding as the old days,but i really don't mind that. :mrgreen:

woodyng wrote:Well,there's always "yessongs" if you feel the need for warp speed performances.
You're either psychic or very astute; I've been doing a lot of that lately.
:P i am watching (repeatedly,as it's playing for 24 hours) the SJC Yahoo show,and thoroughly enjoying the band's performances,and don't find Mr Howe to be wanting. I even like the Line 6.....it certainly isn't as frenetic sounding as the old days,but i really don't mind that. :mrgreen:
I think I have a frenetic receptor in my brain.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”