Re-mixed "The Yes Album"

The genius of Chris Squire
Billsbro

Re-mixed "The Yes Album"

Post by Billsbro »

I just received my copy of the Steven Wilson re-mixed "The Yes Album." It is stunning! Just as with his re-mix of "Close to the Edge" every instrument stands out; the brown wash is now gone and all of the subtle things can be discerned. All sorts of extras are included of course. I haven't yet explored the 5.1 mixes on the Blu-ray.

A must have in my book!
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Re: Re-mixed "The Yes Album"

Post by Ashgray »

+1

I can't describe how it feels to listen to this remix of an album that I know so well, have listened to hundreds of times since I first heard it in the mid-1970s, only to hear things that I'd never heard before in pieces of music that I felt (up until listening to Steven Wilson's mix) so familiar with. Absolutely stunning!

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

YES!
Some of the overdubed guitar elements were new to me. "Perpetual Change" just knocked me out. And as with CTTE, the vocal sections were finally clear and detailed...the lead vocals, Howe's and Squire's backing vocals, and Anderson's own overdubbed voice...all emerge from the mix.

And of course our boy's bass rules over everything.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I haven't sprung for either of these,yet,but kind of hoping he gets to do this treatment with "tales". And i know it isn't at all likely to happen,but i would love to hear "Time and a Word" redone.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Actually, from the supposed-inside info I have read, TALES is next! (You'd think it would be Fragile...)
BassPilot

Post by BassPilot »

+1

I want to be Steven Wilson when I grow up.
Rickenbacker: 1991 4001CS MG (Sean Kelly restoration)
Fender: 1983 Elite Precision Bass II, 2008 Deluxe (MIM) Jazz Bass V, 1968 Telecaster Custom
Other basses and six-string electrics
s4001

Post by s4001 »

+1000. My guitarist had it on at his house, and he has a beast of a sound system. If I closed my eyes, I'd have thought the band was in the room. Amazing work.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Thanks! I didn't know it existed! (any of these or his King Crimson releases).
I don't have a Bluray player so I emailed them about the availability of a FLAC version, If I get it - I want it in high bitrate high sample rate :)
So long and thanks for all the fish!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

gibsonlp wrote:Thanks! I didn't know it existed! (any of these or his King Crimson releases).
I don't have a Bluray player so I emailed them about the availability of a FLAC version, If I get it - I want it in high bitrate high sample rate :)
Wow! If you are a Crimson fan you will have a great time listening to the new versions.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I remember back in the late 80s when I was working on my CD player to improve the sound and writing about it, I listened to the CD of TYA and was astounded to hear the needle riding in the groove, meaning they did not digitize from tape but from a record! :shock:

I'll have to get this remastering.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

No reply as of now :(
Maybe I should just get a bluray player... ;)
So long and thanks for all the fish!
BassPilot

Post by BassPilot »

Gil, you should get a Blu-Ray player. I purchased an inexpensive Sony a few months ago and have found it to be handy for connecting to online movie services as well as for playing Blu-Ray discs. The additional content that you get with the Blu-Ray versions of the Steven Wilson remixes is worth the price of admission, and the player upscales DVD playback to a higher resolution as well.
Fender: 1983 Elite Precision Bass II, 2008 Deluxe (MIM) Jazz Bass V, 1968 Telecaster Custom
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

This is all new to me!

I've never heard of this!

Forgive my ignorance, but are these Cd's that just play on a Blue ray player?
BassPilot

Post by BassPilot »

Tony, the three remixes that I have purchased (Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, and Thick As A Brick), are all two-disc sets. One disc is either Blu-Ray audio or DVD audio with 5.1 mixes in a couple of different formats as well as other additional content like bonus tracks and rough mixes. The other disc is a CD with stereo versions of the new mixes. The difference in audio quality is quite noticeable on either disc, and you hear a lot more detail in the 5.1 mixes (at least I can). I was pretty sure that I'd bought all of the classic Yes albums for the last time until these versions came along.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

BassPilot wrote:Tony, the three remixes that I have purchased (Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, and Thick As A Brick), are all two-disc sets. One disc is either Blu-Ray audio or DVD audio with 5.1 mixes in a couple of different formats as well as other additional content like bonus tracks and rough mixes. The other disc is a CD with stereo versions of the new mixes. The difference in audio quality is quite noticeable on either disc, and you hear a lot more detail in the 5.1 mixes (at least I can). I was pretty sure that I'd bought all of the classic Yes albums for the last time until these versions came along.
Thanks Steve!

Oh, I have to look for these now... 8) 8) 8) 8)

Much appreciated!!!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”