Chris Has Passed On....

The genius of Chris Squire
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Chris Has Passed On....

Post by cjj »

I've pretty much been in shock all day. As with others, Chris is THE reason I took up bass.

R.I.P Chris, we're gonna miss you...
:cry: :cry: :cry:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I'm still up and really don't want to go to sleep, because I know that when I wake up, it will be the first time there wont be a Chris Squire. There's just something not right about that. I was fortunate to have met him and spent some time talking with him at the RIC 75th Anniverary bash back in '06, so that makes it a little better, but I'm still a little numb about it. This must be really awefull for his family.
Mop'n'glo

Post by Mop'n'glo »

It's 5:30 AM here, and I'm in the same boat!
Oddly enough, I had the same thought. It was a different world, when my head hit the pillow, last night - a better one.
ram

Post by ram »

There was Jack Bruce, John Entwhistle, Paul McCartney and Chris Squire.... these were my foundation when I really started getting into bass. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family. The world has lost an incredible talent. These words have helped me over some rough times in the past....

"Contained in everything I do
There's a love I feel for you
Proclaimed in everything I write
You're the light, burning brightly

Onward through the night
Onward through the night
Onward through the night of my life

Displayed in all the things I see
There's a love you show to me
Portrayed in all the things you say
You're the day leading the way

Onward through the night
Onward through the night
Onward through the night of my life...."

R.I.P. Mister Squire.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

I was unplugged from the web all weekend, and just saw this. Shocked and saddened, I too thought he was gonna make it. Prayers for the family, and all his friends.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Lot of nice comments here.

This is a hard one to take, for sure. His music and bass playing did so much for me, along with many others....

Deepest Sympathies to Scotty and Chris's little girl.
Dom

Post by Dom »

I just heard the news and I'm deeply saddened about Chris Squire's passing. His sound & prowess had a HUGE impact on me as a songwriter. That TONE! Heart of the Sunrise nearly made me give up the guitar...I bought a bass immediatly after first hearing it in '99. I wrote a song called Espionage in 2000 on that bass with his playing as the inspiration. We close every show with it & I'm dedicating it to him when we play tomorrow night.

It has been a very tough year for bass, Jack Bruce, Glenn Cornick & now Chris Squire. Bass is the anchor & foundation of any band. What better a foundation than Chris Squire? Thank you Chris for the gift of your music, you will be missed but your music lives on.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Just a little under two years ago (8/8/13), Chis examining his new copy of the book:
CS&meweb copy.jpg
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
fran4001
Intermediate Member

Post by fran4001 »

me and squire.jpg
So lucky to have met him several times, spent one wild night doing some post-gig partying with him, shook that GIANT right hand a bit, and even a handful of nice emails. What a beautiful soul. Waking up today without him was sad.... Rest in peace, Chris.
The pic of he and I was at the aforementioned all-nighter. I was sitting on his lap...lol Having already finished the bottle of Corvoisier. :lol:
Apr. '73 4001JG, Jun. '73 4001MG, Feb. '75 4001 WBT, Feb. '00 4001CS
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

I loved the Bruford quote. Bill can always distill things down to their essence and state them in such an eloquent fashion. As my favorite drummer and second-favorite writer, I expect that precision and elegance.

Chris was no slouch when it came to turning a clever phrase with words but of course, most of us loved him because he did the talking with a bass. All of those elegant and sinuous bass lines said so much. I have so many favorite musicians but Chris was always at the top. My number one. My favorite album of all time is "Fish Out of Water" and I only listen to it when everything is just right--usually in the mountains or the desert as I stand on a spot that has a fantastic view ("for the treasures of the universe are lying at your feet...").

As gutted as I am, I have been preparing for this since his leg issues a few years ago. I feared that we would not have enough time with this man and so for some time I had been focused on assimilating as much of his spirit as possible. In the four concerts since that point I spent much of the time watching Chris through my binoculars. His joy, passion, and especially, that marvelous, booming voice made me feel extremely fortunate to be in his presence. It was the many little moments that seemed momentous. In 2013 the looks and smiles than Jon Davison shared with Chris were very special. Chris was Jon's hero and he was over the moon to be making music with his idol. It was obvious that Jon felt like a kid hanging out with Santa Claus. Fortunately, Chris handed out gifts to all of us on a regular basis.

The last time for me was last year's show in Mesa. The film cameras made the concert even more special...the band were amped up to deliver a fine performance for the cameras and the audience knew it was a special night. And the atmosphere that night was quite different than the night before in Tucson. Chris was in fine form both nights (his vocals in Tucson were a bit louder than usual so I was very happy) but at the Mesa show he clearly was holding court. Those thunderous bass lines were delivered with a bit more aplomb than usual. The grin was wider. He looked beyond happy because of the crowd's joy. He received the adulation and channeled it right back at us. I will always remember the single-note BOMBS that he delivered in the encore.

All of that music and all of those gifts are still there for us. Some of you can feel that joy as you play his very lines. I think of Miguel and his mastery of Chris' style. How wonderful that must be! I am motivated to learn at least one of his songs so that i can feel that contact. I think one of the best things we can do to pay the man back is to honor his memory with actions. No, not by taking 30 minute showers :) but rather, by using the special gifts that we all have to make the world a slightly better place, and by making someone smile at the obvious pleasure we all show when we do what we love.

Yes Virginia, Santa does exist. He always will.
8mileshigher

Chris Has Passed On....

Post by 8mileshigher »

Some really nice things posted on this thread .....
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

Chris and John Entwistle were the two Rickenbacker players who got me started playing both Bass, and Rickenbackers.

Words can't begin to describe the feeling of loss.

The Flowers of the Forest are all Wede away.
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

I hope I have added this beautiful photo correctly...
it is Chris and his daughter on-stage with Styx
Attachments
Squire.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Wonderful photograph! :D
ram

Post by ram »

At a show in DC a few years back, I believe it was during Heart of the Sunrise. Xi ran up the aisle and stood at the front of the stage waving and blowing kisses to her dad who in turn reciprocated. Mom was a few rows back watching. Very cute.... Rock-god is human daddy. Such a special moment to have shared with the Squires.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”