Chris Has Passed On....

The genius of Chris Squire
squirefan01
Intermediate Member

Re: Chris Has Passed On....

Post by squirefan01 »

So sad. Listening to Fish Out of Water. Such a beautiful musical mind he had. Lovely vocals and a brilliant musician. Thanks for your incredible influence on my life Chris. RIP.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I.. am.. just.. simply.. stunned....Chris was such a huge influence on me. wow. :shock: :(
"Knowledge is Power"
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

Just started hearing this on radio news at the top of the hour. I was hoping he'd fight through it. My wife and I were planning to attend a Yes concert in Denver a handful of years ago, but he developed a leg problem and the concert was canceled. I think it was a blood clot. I should have tried hard to see them the next time around.
I remember hearing Yes for the first time when I was in high school in the late 70's. I think a friend turned me onto them. At the time, I tried to learn many of his base lines, but never felt I totally had them down.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
edski
Advanced Member

Post by edski »

squirefan01 wrote:So sad. Listening to Fish Out of Water. Such a beautiful musical mind he had. Lovely vocals and a brilliant musician. Thanks for your incredible influence on my life Chris. RIP.
Finishing up doing the exact same thing.

Time comes for us all, but I guess there's never really enough time. 67 is just a little too early...
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

This is awful news. I hope he and his care team made choices that allowed him to enjoy the end as much as he could.

Oddly, this morning I played "Roundabout" (on a guitar, at a picnic) for the first time in what feels like a very long time.
relayer
Veteran RRF member

Post by relayer »

Devastating news, just awful. :(
jeff
Veteran RRF member

Post by jeff »

The 3 main bassists I connected with back when I was learning guitar and bass 40 years ago was McCartney, Entwistle, and of course Chris Squire!!!!! Of the 3 however the one that I connected with the most and wanted to play like more than any other would be Chris!!!!!!! I can't even begin to scratch the surface of what he has meant to me in terms of playing style and even his writing!!!! I am very saddened to hear of this news. They broke the mold on Chris!!!!!! There will never be another of his caliber again!!!!!! Bless you Chris!!!!!!! I can't tell you how much you will be missed!!!!!!!! :cry:
basmansam

Post by basmansam »

Sad day today, a great loss for us all.
This is from Bill Bruford's Facebook page:

"Really saddened to hear of the death of my old Yes band-mate, Chris Squire. I shall remember him fondly; one of the twin rocks upon which Yes was founded and, I believe, the only member to have been present and correct, Rickenbacker at the ready, on every tour. He and I had a working relationship built around our differences. Despite, or perhaps because of, the old chestnut about creative tension, it seemed, strangely, to work.
He had an approach that contrasted sharply with the somewhat monotonic, immobile bass parts of today. His lines were important; counter-melodic structural components that you were as likely to go away humming as the top line melody; little stand-alone works of art in themselves. Whenever I think of him, which is not infrequently, I think of the over-driven fuzz of the sinewy staccato hits in Close to the Edge (6’04” and on) or a couple of minutes later where he sounds like a tuba (8’.00”). While he may have taken a while to arrive at the finished article, it was always worth waiting for. And then he would sing a different part on top.
An individualist in an age when it was possible to establish individuality, Chris fearlessly staked out a whole protectorate of bass playing in which he was lord and master. I suspect he knew not only that he gave millions of people pleasure with his music, but also that he was fortunate to be able to do so. I offer sincere condolences to his family.
Adios, partner. Bill."
Last edited by basmansam on Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edski
Advanced Member

Post by edski »

rickenbrother wrote:I am terribly devastated. :(

I think Chris would like us to smile, laugh and enjoy his music, humor and memory.
I love this video of Chris telling his experience of meeting Jimi Hendrix.

Joey - after watching that I am even more convinced that rather than mourning the loss of Chris we should celebrate that we got to share time and space with such a wonderful person. That was great! :D
johnthebassist

Post by johnthebassist »

There are very few times I have cried at the death of anyone famous, however this time I couldn't stop. Musically like an older brother and mentor, and his influence in my life will continue. I got to see him one last time in August of 2014 in Nashville and sitting in front of his bass rig getting to see and hear him playing with such joyful abandon….my prayers for his family for comfort and also that they know and can take comfort that he made his corner of the world a much better place.
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

basmansam wrote:Sad day today, a great loss for us all.
This is from Bill Bruford's Face Book page:
"Really saddened to hear of the death of my old Yes band-mate, Chris Squire. I shall remember him fondly; one of the twin rocks upon which Yes was founded and, I believe, the only member to have been present and correct, Rickenbacker at the ready, on every tour. He and I had a working relationship built around our differences. Despite, or perhaps because of, the old chestnut about creative tension, it seemed, strangely, to work.
He had an approach that contrasted sharply with the somewhat monotonic, immobile bass parts of today. His lines were important; counter-melodic structural components that you were as likely to go away humming as the top line melody; little stand-alone works of art in themselves. Whenever I think of him, which is not infrequently, I think of the over-driven fuzz of the sinewy staccato hits in Close to the Edge (6’04” and on) or a couple of minutes later where he sounds like a tuba (8’.00”). While he may have taken a while to arrive at the finished article, it was always worth waiting for. And then he would sing a different part on top.
An individualist in an age when it was possible to establish individuality, Chris fearlessly staked out a whole protectorate of bass playing in which he was lord and master. I suspect he knew not only that he gave millions of people pleasure with his music, but also that he was fortunate to be able to do so. I offer sincere condolences to his family.
Adios, partner. Bill."
This was a nice read, so thanks for pasting it here.
I feel very lucky to have met him, and to have shaken his hand; the man helped change music in ways the world will never be able to fully appreciate or articulate, but Bruford makes a memorable attempt.
Captain Bob

Post by Captain Bob »

I'm deeply saddend to learn of his passing. Condolences to his family.

He was such a large part of my musical life and my inspiration throughout the Seventies and into the early Eighties. The Drama tour was the last live performance I attended after seeing them many times previously. Chris was always the animated member of the group.
I'm happy to have my inscribed copy of Fish Out of Water, and the numerous cd's and dvd's, to always revisit.

Godspeed Chris Squire. And, thank you for inspiring many with your compositions, style and grace.
Perhaps, I shall have DC193 re-finished in your color.
1964 4001S Fireglo
4001G63

Post by 4001G63 »

Hey Fran,
Thanks for starting this thread. There has rarely been a day gone by that I have not had a Chris Squire bass line run through my head. I mean that. He was so much a part of my musical life- and always will be. I just played a medly of all Chris bass lines highlights that I know on my Rick in tribute. I am sure that the thousands of bass players he has inspired will be doing the same! Rest in Peace Chris. You made so many people happy with your music.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Horrible shocking news.
One of my saddest days. Chris was my hero.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

gibsonlp wrote:Horrible shocking news.
One of my saddest days. Chris was my hero.
We're here for you, Gil.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”