The Strap

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

The Strap

Post by miguelbass »

Possibly a subject never touched here... anyone knows who makes Chris' strap for the Rickenbacker? It's such a beautiful strap. It suits the instrument perfectly. In fact wearing another one with a CS bass almost seems strange... I would love to get one alike.

Miguel
Michael4bass

Re: The Strap

Post by Michael4bass »

Hello Miguel, I don't remember who made those straps, but I remember seeing them in the stores back in the early 70s. Seems like there would be some somewhere, eBay, Reverb, flea markets, thrift stores, etc.

Bassically, Michael
1973 4001 MG
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Thank you very much, Michael - I will try to look for it!
Miguel
relayer
Veteran RRF member

Post by relayer »

Probably because it's the least discussed part of gear, I've only ever heard of one well known strap maker from the '70's, and that was Ace. And I only heard of them because some anoraks were discussing Jimmy Page's strap from the '70's... :)
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

Miquel

The strap is from Manny's Music on 48th St. NYC. Chris bought it during their first US tour, and going by all the photos through the years it appears he never used another on his RM since.
I wouldn't count on finding one, as very few were made. I had a similar model (there were about 3 or 4 different styles) that I gave to my guitarist years ago... he still has it and uses it regularly.
Really incredible craftsmanship went into making them.

Cheers
Sean
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”