Squire -inspired Telecaster Bass w/ a bridge pickup

The genius of Chris Squire
pekka

Squire -inspired Telecaster Bass w/ a bridge pickup

Post by pekka »

Not wanting to hijack Miguel's "Lucky Seven" -thread I put this clip here. I recorded some Squire riffs on my newly modded Telecaster bass just to show how it sounds played in that style. Or at least I tried to imitate Squire's style. Don't mind the riffs if they are not too accurate, I'm definitely not Miguel. :)

Both pickups on and straight to the board. I split the signal, the other is dry and the other goes through my Rotosphere Leslie pedal with the break on, to add some amp-ish grit.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/432 ... 20Soup.mp3
woodyng

Re: Squire -inspired Telecaster Bass w/ a bridge pickup

Post by woodyng »

Cool looking bass,and it sounds really good too!
Did you actually play all those riffs together (continuously) without dubs?
That sounded very impressive!
Cheers,
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Squire's Fender also had a Tele control plate added above the stock one with two more knobs and a pickup selector switch, presumably to have the same controls as his Rick.
pekka

Post by pekka »

woodyng wrote:Cool looking bass,and it sounds really good too!
Did you actually play all those riffs together (continuously) without dubs?
That sounded very impressive!
Cheers,
Thanks, and yes I did. I had about half an hour to make that clip and to show of the Tele sound I was thinking about merging "South Side Of The Sky" and "Lucky Seven" but couldn't make it work too fast enough and just thought few others that could flow into each other easily. Of course most of them were originally done with a Ric plus one T-Bird riff too but but you can't be too picky. :) Also, I couldn't remember anything off "A Venture" and only now thought of "A Time And A Word" and "Sweet Dreams".
pekka

Post by pekka »

aceonbass wrote:Squire's Fender also had a Tele control plate added above the stock one with two more knobs and a pickup selector switch, presumably to have the same controls as his Rick.
Yes, I didn't want to go that far. :) To avoid routing any more cavities I just had a pickup switch added between the (now master) volume and tone controls.

I was thinking about putting the Jazz Bass pickup cover above the bridge pickup just like on his Tele but it might get in the way since I play lot with fingers too and usually use the whole space to vary the sound.

BTW, has anyone ever seen what pickup Chris had there? Fender has never made wider versions of the SCPB (single coil precision bass pickup used in '51-'57 P-basses and '68-'72 Telecasters) so it might have been a Jazz Bass bridge pickup but who knows? Jimmy Bain of Rainbow etc. had a Telecaster with another SCPB even nearer the bridge.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

As a lefty, this is as close as I can get...
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Pekka - well done, great sound!
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Sounds right on, Pekka! My suggestion is that you could make a short clip for the Play For Chris video! Let me know please if you're willing to join us :) In any case congratulations for your playing!

Miguel
pekka

Post by pekka »

miguelbass wrote:Sounds right on, Pekka! My suggestion is that you could make a short clip for the Play For Chris video! Let me know please if you're willing to join us :) In any case congratulations for your playing!

Miguel
Thanks Miguel! I'm afraid I don't have the equipment to make a video and if I did I just don't have time. An addition to our family is on its way and I don't mean a new bass! :D

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”