bass clip - To Be Over

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

bass clip - To Be Over

Post by miguelbass »

Dear friends, this is a very special video for me because I'm presenting the bass I have built in the memory of Chris Squire. The #bassforChris project is my first attempt to construct a bass and it took me about one year. Finally it's ready.

Another important part of the cover is the use of the 8-string bass on the intro and first two verses of the song. Although there isn't any report of Chris using an 8-string in this song, while studying the bassline, I concluded that it was indeed the Rickenbacker 4008 that was used, with a wah-wah effect pedal. I underline that this statement is just from my listening, but it fits in the chronology, as the first prototypes were issued in 1973, according to the Rickenbacker Electric Bass Book (Paul D. Boyer/Hal Leonard) and Chris was given one of the first copies.

Happyface

Re: bass clip - To Be Over

Post by Happyface »

Wow! What a huge amount of effort on a song many of us have forgotten. Nicely done!!!

And also, it was a pleasure to finally see your twin brother playing along with you .... .... ...

Thanks for posting that!
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Wonderful work, as always, Miguel! (I watched it over on YouTube and came over here to comment.)

Your videos always blow me away and by your playing I can always tell that the magic starts with the accuracy of your ears. This video really makes that even more clear than usual.

And for your first bass build project you have done superbly well. What a special instrument it is.
Well done! Thank you!
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Thank you very much Stephen and Derek!

Always a pleasure to share my videos with you here at the forum.

Stephen, the bass ended up really good. I made it stereo like Chris' - you will notice the slight overdrive I tried to copy from the original recording which goes to one of the pickups only. Anyway I will put a more detailed post about the bass when I find the time :)

Thanks again!

Miguel
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Wow...as always! Look forward to hearing more about the bass when you have time. I have always loved that song, and didn't recall the bass being that involved. Thanks for reminding me!
8mileshigher

bass clip - To Be Over

Post by 8mileshigher »

Nicely done, Miguel.
It also was a pleasure to see your "twin brother" playing, as Happyface mentioned ! :lol:
ram

Post by ram »

Miguel, this tune and i go way back (personal) always a special thing to me. Your effort here, as always, masterful and splendid. Thanks!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Thank you very much also to Tom, Rich and William!

Miguel

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”