Music Of The Sixties

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Music Of The Sixties

Post by admin »

I speaking with friends from the Liverpool area and elsewhere in the UK it seems to me that the days of the 1960s music venues never left Liverpool. Many groups who did not make it big in the 1960s continue to perform in the Port City.

As I look to my own City in Canada, there does not seem to be the same nostalgia, and very few if any of those musicians who played in the 1960s in our area have carried the practice on.

So why is it different in Liverpool or am I mistaken in my perception?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Perhaps it's because that's where it all started, Peter, and it's become part of the city's culture rather than a 'manufactured' or 'bandwagon' form of nostalgia. I think the revolutionary nature of the music and the underlying movement can't be forgotten and it will be a living thing for quite a while yet - give it another generation and see what happens!

Over here we still have most of the musicians but alas, none of the venues.
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
wayang

Post by wayang »

Here in the U.S., cultural continuity takes a back seat to the demand for more parking lots...but after all, here is where THAT all started...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Not much started in Australia.... at least not much to be proud of!
wayang

Post by wayang »

That's okay, man...pride is a highly over-rated and problematic emotional state...it's getting hard to walk the streets around here without stepping in a pile of it, even though the figurehead of our National Religion frequently cautioned against it during His Lifetime...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When thinking of the influence of British music on the US during the 1960s, I thought there were probably many songs that by British artists that charted number one in the UK and also charted in first place in the US.

Not so. In fact, over this decade there were only 22 songs in which a number one song by a British artist charted #1 in the US. Here they are with 12 of 22 going to The Beatles.

The data is from Billboard. Please also remember that if you twist the arm of your data long enough they will confess to anything.

UK ArtistSong TitleDate UK #1 Acker BilkStranger On The Shore Nov 1961 Frank IfieldI Remember YouJul 1962 Tornadoes TelstarSep 1962 The BeatlesShe Loves YouAug 1963 The BeatlesI Want To Hold Your HandDec 1963 The Beatles Can't Buy Me Love Mar 1964 Peter and Gordon World Without LoveMar 1964 The Animals House of the Rising SunJul 1964 Manfred MannDo Wah Diddy DiddyJul 1964 The BeatlesA Hard Day's NightJul 1964 The Beatles I Feel FineDec 1964 The Beatles Ticket To Ride Apr 1965 The Beatles Help Jul 1965 The Rolling Stones (I Can't Get No)Satisfaction Aug 1965 The Rolling Stones Get Off My Cloud Oct 1965 The Rolling Stones Paint It BlackMay 1966 The BeatlesPaperback WriterJul 1966 The Beatles All You Need Is Love Jul 1967 The Bealtes Hello Goodbye Dec 1967 The Beatles Hey Jude Sep 1968 The Beatles Get Back Apr 1969 The Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Woman Jul 1969
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Very interesting, Peter.

However, one small point - Frank Ifield was born in Australia and went to the UK to try and break into the 'big time'. And he did!! The first artist ever to have three consecutive number 1's in the UK - "I Remember You", "Lovesick Blues" and "The Wayward Wind".

I guess if we can claim the Bee Gees, the UK can claim Frank!!
wayang

Post by wayang »

I wish we 'Yanks' could still claim Terry Gilliam and Chrissie Hind.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Howard. I took the liberty of referring to Frank Ifield as being a UK artist as he was born in the UK and had his hits recorded there. His connection with Australia has not gone unnoticed. The BeeGees are from Australia? Just kidding.

ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Sorry, Peter. Of course you are correct - born in Coventry. Some might say that when the family emigrated to Australia it was like "going to Coventry".
brammy

Post by brammy »

Parking lots not withstanding .... a lot started in the states too, in fact that IS where rock'n'roll started as a meld of blues, country and rockabilly and soul and maybe something else I cant think of right now.

But I can see that the sounds of the 60's could very well be more alive in Liverpool than in Boston for instance. I think though, that when you dig a little deeper you can find what you want in the US also.... there are just SO MANY bands out there playing all the time, especially in the bigger cities.

I've been to Liverpool once but only for an afternoon of quick Beatlemania. Although I knew it going in, it broke my heart that they tore down the original Cavern.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

The Bee Gees were not originally from OZ they were born in Douglas Isle Of Man their parents were born in Manchester, in fact the three brothers were tearaways as I understand. The late Robin actually married a girl from near where I live, she was a waitress at Batley Variety Club, in the Yorkshire, an upmarket glorified working mens club to some degree bit like the legion things in Canada and OZ I think. The Bee Gess had resorted to the Cabaret circuit like a number of sixties acts but somewhere along the way they met Arif Maridin and rest was history.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Robin is not dead, Roy!!
Searchers amongst my teenage favourite music. Still fond of them, but earnestly a little puzzled they are considered THIS big! But I'm very excited about this forum, and will love to read it regularly, and also contribute!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Funny, although I read Roy's post, I was thinking Maurice, Einar. Right you are though.

tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

'60's music is still massive in the UK, with '60's tribute bands & original '60's bands still in big demand.

Is it like that in the US?
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”