Do You Love Me

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
rictified

Post by rictified »

Silence is Golden was The Four Seasons first, but they had so many hits at the time they didn't release it as a single according to them anyway. I like The Tremelos version better though.
wayang

Post by wayang »

On the subject of "Do You Love Me?"...I know of at least one other version, of which I've seen a video clip...but no idea how to find it again...perhaps the Forum Webheads will chase it down. It features, not playing, but singing and dancing, the One And Only...BOOTSY COLLINS (no relation to Phil)...If you see only one music video this year, make it this one. Words cannot convey the power of this particular performance.
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The fadeout on the 4 Seasons' version is really great. And Valli has the piercing falsetto all sewn up in Joizy!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
rictified

Post by rictified »

Yup he was a Joizy boy. I saw them a few years ago, still great.
wayang

Post by wayang »

I went to the Roman Villa restaurant on Route 17 in Paramus, N.J. once...lots of statuary out front and lots of what appeared to be underage women in the company of older men with top shirt button failure and matching medallion display. A band in matching white leisure suits over red ruffly tuxedo shirts was holding forth on the stage...they were called Time Machine, which was extremely appropriate. What was inappropriate (but hilarious) was the inclusion of "Mister Bass Man" in their set, since they didn't have a bass player, but a keyboard player on one of those Fender Rhodes deals (ala Manzarek). It was bizarre...I controlled my laughter and kept my back to the wall. Ah, Joizy...2 drink minimum, pal!
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
rictified

Post by rictified »

Mr Bassman! I wanna be a bass man too! I loved that song when I was a kid. (along with Purple People Eater, and "They're coming to take me away ha ha") Actually that one really did crack me up. Man, we had some classics over here Roy.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Johhny Cymbal, Sheb Wooley and Napolean X1V if memory serves me right and you didn't like Move it!!

They were all hits here too Bob, the latter making number 4. Do you recall what was on the "B" side of take me away HA HA.

Strange too eh kids today never heard the term "B"side.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
rictified

Post by rictified »

"oh oh ah ah yawa em ekat ot gnimoc er'yehT"
Now that was not easy.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I thought "Move it" was a great song Roy, the recording and performance just didn't sound convincing enough. I'd play it.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

WeLl done Bob totally correct, took me a few seconds to grasp what you had wrote though, Nice touch
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: Back to "Do You Love Me" for a moment. Do you have Faron's recording of this?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

No I don't think so certanly not on CD I'll check, may be able to get it be interseting to hear, sadly as you may well be aware Faron is very ill at the present with sadly no hope of really improving.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes I was sorry to hear about his setback. There are some who maintain that Faron's version of "Do You Love Me" was one of the best. The word is that had he released the number first it would have been a big hit. I would like to hear it to see if I agree.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I can now say without hesitation that Faron's version of "Do You Love Me" is the best out there and rocks.

To my ears, this is the best of the four listed below. high energy, originality, driving bass, and excellent drumming.

I am sorry he did not get his version out first as it blows the others away.

Do You Love Me - Contours
Do You Love Me - Dave Clark Five
Do You Love Me - Brian Poole and The Tremeloes
Do You Love Me - Faron's Flamingos

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Actually Peter he did get his version out first but the record label did not make it the A side of the single prefering See If She Cares as the A side. Some websites do list the single as the other way round but I believe I am correct. It is also the case that Brian Poole and The Tremeloes wanted to record it after doing a small tour with FF and saw him performing the number and getting a good reaction to it.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”