Everly One Of These A Classic

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That Liverpool band of which you speak has sounded like the Everlys on more than one occasion Roy.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
bill_yantz

Post by bill_yantz »

As did many other Liverpool bands, right Peter? I think the Everlys were the vocal inspiration for the emergence of "bands" that played instruments and sang. Don't you agree that this explosion started with the introduction of the Beatles? Then other groups were thrust into the spotlight but they were already formed and playing for quite some time as well as the Beatles. Its just so amazing that it emerged like it did. In NA, we were hearing bee, bop, Bobby Rydel, Bobby V, Paul Anka, Fabian, (maybe it was Ricky Nelson that started this whole thing, he sure was ahead of the times with Burton and his band) and many others but nothing like the "bands" that played their instruments and sang - in " Everly like" harmony. The Searchers, Peter & Gordon, of course the Beatles and many more. Yeah, I think the Everlys were the "influence" on the youngsters in the late 50s and early 60s wanting to "sing and play in a group”. Of course, this is only my opinion.

I wonder what would have happened if the Beach Boys would have hit Sullivan first. They were formed and playing at that time. Incredible insight or luck on Ed's part to bring the Beatles over and IMO start the whole British Invasion thing here in NA. Those first three shows inspired countless thousands of young boys to want to be like the Beatles - it looked like so much fun! I know, I was one of them, along with quite a few of you as well.

I couldn’t resist getting into the British Invasion music thing a little bit. Its interesting to think that the Everly's style was a big part of the "new" sound - music (our music) took a big step forward at that point. But, it was the markets love for the "new" beat music that was the downfall of the Everlys popularity. It's to bad it worked out like it did; they were still in their prime.
A British Invasion Tribute
http://www.myspace.com/billyyantz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bill: You are so right, the Everlys had a tremendous impact on the British Groups.

In so far as you mention The Searchers, I am reminded of their cover of the Everly's "Since Your Broke My Heart." But what you point out is most important of all and that is the extent to which British Groups such as Peter and Gordon, The Searchers and The Beatles emulated the Everly Brothers.

If I might be so bold I would throw a number of other British artists into the ring that remind me of the Everlys including: The Hollies and Bachelor Boy Cliff Richard himself.

Interesting enough, I was introduced to many American artists through British Groups that did a first rate job of taking an American 45 and putting their own spin on it only to realize even great success. I'll save that discussion for another thread.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Cliff Richard did of course, though some on the forum may well not be aware, record a duet with Phil Everly called She Means Nothing To Me and one Mark Knopfler played Rhythm Guitar on the track, made number 9 here in the UK in 1980,the song was written by a guy called John David who also wrote 2 songs on the critically received first Sire album by The Searchers one of which It's Too Late so very nearly gave then the hit that had eluded them since the Sixties. I mention this because it is my understanding they were offered the song before it was recorded by Phil and Cliff. What might have been!!
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the additional information Roy. I did not know about the Cliff-Phil connection.

This may have been a missed opportunity for The Searchers that could have led to great things.

Taking nothing from The Searchers, I would have to imagine that the idea of an Everly Brother and Cliff Richard duo had to have had an aura about it that wouldn't go away. This alone may have set the stage of a hit tune.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes probably correct Peter, the Searchers would not have got the airplay necessary but so nearly did with It's Too Late, a Local Radio DJ I knew at the time told me that based on airplay alone The Searchers would probably break into the lower end of the charts, sadly he ws wrong. Cliff of course in 1980 still received regular airplay, very differet today though. Cliff and Phil did hit the charts again in 94 with something called All I Have To Do I Dream.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
rictified

Post by rictified »

Peter, Yes I agree with you about the production on their mid 80's stuff, but in fairness to Dave Edmunds who produced them, I read an interview with Don Everly and he said that he wanted a modern sound with synthesisors etc. which were the rage back then. I didn't like the arrangements and production either. If they had gotten a more traditional sound like their older stuff the LP's may have gone over better. Dave Edmunds is a huge Everly's fan to the point of recording a lot of their songs and doing a tribute to them at one point. His productions are always very dense sounding to me though, not enough air especially for the Everly's.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”