Surf's Up

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Surf's Up

Post by admin »

As I was reading last evening I came across the mention of Surf groups and I was wondering how many groups of the type we could name for the 1960s. I can't wait to see what surf classics you come up with.

It is almost difficult to operationally define surf music, but for me it has reference to summer, fun, the beach scene and cars.

I'll start with the Hondells. The song that I remember from them was Little Honda. "First gear it's alright, second gear ... A fun song that I now see did not come out until the fall of 1964.

So kick it into gear and add a group of your own here.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I wanted to post before somebody said "Beach Boys".

This is my own second band, from Chicago, 1966--the Surfbards. We played and sang 5 part harmony, did BB, Hondells, Jan and Dean, Four Seasons, and Sunrays covers, and our own original material.

I did all the arrangements and taught them to the guys.

Top, drummer Larry LaPalio; middle, Rich Miller, rhythm guitar, Bill Wright, lead guitar, Glenn Raye, bass guitar.

That's me in front--the skinny guy with no face and the blonde surfer hair, lead singer and keyboards.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paul: Very nice. Was Little Honda the Hondells' complete repetoire?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Whilst surf music was never big in UK for obvious reasons, for me if we are to name only one group which I believe is Peter's thread I would go for The Chatays, their one hit Pipeline was indeed a classic covered by so mant bands and still being covered, Hank Marvin did it on a recent solo album and had Duane Eddy as a guest on the track. Putting aside the technical advances that can improve tracks today, the simplicity of The Chantays version sticks in one's mind, The Ventures have used that opening bass riff on a number of tracks.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great choice Roy. Can there be any doubt as to the impact of Pipeline on budding and professional guitarists of the day? Another song that had great influence but did not chart as successfully as one would have imagined given the extensive airplay.

Paul: I never knew that Brian Wilson was involved with the Hondells. I found the following online. Has anyone else heard this.
"Produced by Gary Usher, a close friend of Brian Wilson.
As the Beach Boys were enjoying a #1 hit ("I Get Around") and had another song scheduled for release (#9 "When I Grow Up (to Be a Man"), Usher assembled a studio group consisting of Brian Wilson, Kurt Boetcher, Glen Campbell, Chuck Girard, Joe Kelly, and Ritchie Burns to record this and an accompanying LP."

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Originally recorded and released by the Beach Boys in 1964 on the album Four By The Beach Boys.
Produced by Gary Usher, a close friend of Brian Wilson.
As the Beach Boys were enjoying a #1 hit ("I Get Around") and had another song scheduled for release (#9 "When I Grow Up (to Be a Man"), Usher assembled a studio group consisting of Brian Wilson, Kurt Boetcher, Glen Campbell, Chuck Girard, Joe Kelly, and Ritchie Burns to record this and an accompanying LP.
Background singer Burns worked in a bank. He asked three of his co-workers to pose for the cover photo of the Hondells' LP.
The group didn't actually exist until the single charted -- then Burns toured with a Hondells group that he put together at the behest of Usher.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The only other Hondells song that charted in the US was a cover of "Younger Girl".

A bit off topic, but my favorite Younger Girl cover is from the Critters, of Paramus, NJ, on their "Mr. Dieingly Sad" album from the summer of '66. "Mr. Dieingly Sad" was one of my all time favorite ballads. It was quite complex structurally and the production was impeccable for its day. I actually found this album on CD about ten years ago.

The melody of MDS was borrowed for a Brasilian song, which was a big seller there. I can't recall the name, but the plot of the song in Brasil has nothing to do with that of the American original. But imagine my surprise when after not hearing the song for years, I hear it performed in a bar in Rio in Portuguese...

Now back to our topic. Sorry, Peter.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Hondells - Nothing like having the wool pulled over your eyes. There are many cases like this in the music industry, I just didn't catch this wave until now.

bill_yantz

Post by bill_yantz »

Paul, yes! "Mr. Dieinly”. I mentioned this to the other band members and they don't even remember it. It was one of my all-time favorites along with "Elusive Butterfly”. Very cool!!!

Sorry to get off the track. Paul, very cool, your group. Is there some way you could make that compilation of your music available to us here on Rickresourse?

This whole "Surf" band music was just one Ed Sullivan appearance away from being "the music" of the 60s. Certainly it was a big part of the early 60s music scene but, what would have happened to the British Invasion had Ed booked the Beach Boys first. Interesting thought, don't you agree?

I loved "Little Honda" and "Pipeline”. Probably the first two songs we learned in my first group "The Galaxies”.

BTW, Chuck Girard, Hondells, went on to be an incredible comtemporary Christian artist in a group called "Love Song”, and then on to equally inspired solo work. Marvelous voice.
A British Invasion Tribute
http://www.myspace.com/billyyantz
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Unfortunately, Ed booked the BBs once the Beatles thing had died down a bit, in a flash of patriotic guilt.

Later in '64, once in '65 and once in '66, the BBs appeared. I remember the '64 appearance--they played "Wendy".

My oldest daughter is named after a Sunrays song--"Andrea". My second daughter is named after that BB song--"Wendy". I wanted to name my son Brian, but my wife outvoted me and he was named Paul, Jr.

My 8-year-old daughter is named after a Mike Nesmith song, "Juliana". Mike is one of my favorite Contemporary Atheist artists.
― Kurt Vonnegut
rictified

Post by rictified »

One of the members of The Chantays works or worked at Rickenbacker. There is a picture in the Smith book of him and the gold record they received.
How about Jan and Dean? I've always liked them.
bear

Post by bear »

Well one of the first "Surf Tunes" I learned was Miserlou by Dick Dale and the Deltones.
History and discography well covered at the official website Dick Dale Dot Com
bear

Post by bear »

"California Sun" by:

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Back in '64, I was in land-locked Chicago, playing Beach Boys and buying Dick Dale albums.

Flash forward to 1982. I was living in So Cal, and displaying my Coral/Shadow Gray Metallic '55 Chevy Nomad at the Long Beach custom car show, along with my collection of guitars, vintage surfboards, and Dick Dale albums.

I was off getting some food, and my wife was tending the booth. Some guy jumped over the ropes and grabbed a Dick Dale album that I'd owned since 1970 or so, and began writing on it. My wife rushed over, but the damage was done.

Dick Dale had autographed my album. Oh, well. I appeared and the picture below was taken. I'm holding the album, and he's holding my '66 nitro Coral custom color Jazzmaster.

We've stayed in touch over the years. My friend Jimmy, an illustrator for Disney, did the cover for his "Tribal Thunder" comeback album.

As anybody who's been to NAMM recently can attest, Dick's as hot as ever.Image
― Kurt Vonnegut
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Great story Paul, must be the only time anybody autographed something without being asked

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”