Surf's Up

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Peter, two posts ago you said you enjoyed it!!!
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: I still enjoy it very much! I guess the point I was trying to make, perhaps badly, is that its title leaves a fair bit to be desired. I will edit my post with the aim of making it clearer. I reserve the right to change my mind, but do not usually do so without a reason. I appreciate your critique.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Ride the Midnight Wild Surf?

Roy, the second is our lead player's version of "Surf Jam", from the BB's "Surfin' USA" album. Carl Wilson really kicks butt on the original, playing his famous hotrodded '62 Oly White Fender Jaguar. My fave all-time surf instrumental.

Bill, our lead player, was happier with his fake books and "Days of Wine and Roses", though...he kind of lost the thrill on his version.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes it was my first thought for a title Paul, but I wanted to stay away from "Ride The Wild Surf" which I seem to think already exists.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Great minds think alike, even in cliche form...

Roy, it's very cool and I can imagine someone like Mr. Dale really going hog wild with it (after all, Misirlou is a Lebanese folk song...Dick was born in Beirut and his real name is Richard Mansour.)

Like our version of Misirlou, Duck Pond starts out strong and doesn't build. It lays there plunking. That's my only observation and we were all much younger back then (I was 18 when we did the stuff on the Web.)
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I recall Apache 65 by Davie Allan and The Arrows(bet you are amazed a guy from Yorkshire England has heard of these guys, only Surf we knew waS a washing powder called that) frankly for me he ruined it. But take your point Dick Dale doing Duck Pond would be good to hear, surprised The Ventures never picked up on it.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The original Apache (Native American Surfin' USA) by Yorgen Borgen or whatever his name could have been...
― Kurt Vonnegut
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

Here's what Surf Music was about in So.Cal. where it originated in 1961. Most musicians didn't surf, but the surf craze had hit hard in 1959 with the release of "Gidget" based on a true story around Malibu Point and life style of young Calif. Kids. The music evolved out of the spirit of this new sport. It was free and had no responsibilities. I myself started surfing in the late 50's as a 10 year old boy on the beach near Santa Monica. By 1960 I was playing my fathers "53 Tele" and trying to put my feelings from riding waves into music. It was pure youthful energy coming out. By 1961 there were many Surf Bands all over So. Calif. that were making up their own instrumentals. My best friend and I had a band the "SolMars" translates sorta into Sun/Sea. We were opening for most of the top name Surf Bands in 1962.
The Lively Ones was one of the best. Here's a few of the local bands: The Surfaris, The Chantays, Dick Dale and His Deltones, Eddie and the Showmen, Dave Meyers and the Surftones, the BelAirs, the Challengers,Johnny Fortune, The Detonators,The Sentinals, the list goes on and on. Most of us had a "62 Strat" and a Brown Fender Reverb. We all played Miserlou and Pipeline. The Rendezvous and the Anaheim Ballroom were the weekend spots where the surf crowd hung out. By Feb. 1964 it was pretty much over when the Beatles hit America. Someone mentioned Rickenbacker/Pipeline/Surf Music. Brian Carman who worked many years at Rickenbacker was the co-author of Pipeline along with his best friend from Santa Ana High School, Bob Spickard. The whole youthful surf music thing had a world wide influence on guitar/instrumental music. It was a great 3 years that will live in my heart and soul forever. And if you played Surf Music, you had Flat Wound Strings on your guitar, that was part of the incredible tone combined with a heavy reverb.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Sorry Paul, Apache was by Jorgen Ingmann so you were close, but the original and by far the best version by miles was by The Shadows.

I have stated on here already how for the life of me I can't understand how you NA guys went for his version, I assume perhaps The Shadows version was not released over there or probably more to the point not released quick enough.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dale: Nicely written and filled with rich information about the Surf scene. If there was a time in 1960s music in which the instrumental commanded attention then this was certainly it. I have to love the addition of the "tones" to groups and the extent to which the names of car models was also used.

Roy: In the interest of once again broadening my education, might I impose for a link to the Shadows version of Apache. Based on your comments, it is time for another listen.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

My pleasure and I'll send the Jorgen Ingmann version, in fact we could gO on forever, Bert Weedon version, Ventures version.

I suspect Bert Weedon does not mean a thing to my NA friends but in the early sixties if you wanted to try and learn to play guitar, the Bert Weedon Play In A Day book was a must, regretfully in my case it turned out to be Never Paly In Day or Anytime for that matter. I put it down to my bent little finger, as good as excuse as any.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

rictified

Post by rictified »

Well Roy, I still like The Ventures version better (along with their chord structure) haha!
You do know I have a stack of old Venture LP's about 2-3" thick don't you?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

So have I Bob and CD's but I am determined to get you on side
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have just listened to the Jorgen Ingmann - Apache which reached number 2 in the USA charts in February 1961. It is nowhere compared to the version by the Shadows, very slow and sleep inducing really. I must now get the Ventures' version to refresh my memory.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”