Surf's Up

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I fully agree with this. I remembered when it was on the radio back then and relistening to it the first time, back in the 80s sometime, I remember thinking that there was something wrong with the speed. It is painfully slow to our modern ears.

The Shadows' version is superb, but sounds like they were all swimming in the reverb tank compared to the Ventures' much brighter version. I also miss the swishing sound in the chorus--my brain wants to insert it.

Gotta go and get the Fender Reverb re-tubed...
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The four versions of Apache that I have heard include The Shadows, The Ventures, the Jorgen Ingmann and finally the Bert Weedon rendition.

As with so many songs, the first one you hear and, if the biologists will excuse the example -imprint to, often times determines the song you will cherish for life. Those who have grown up on The Shadows version will find the Ventures a tad slow and less vibrant. Those who have been accustomed to The Ventures will find the Shadows a tad faster with more reverb than they like.

The Shadows have a more interesting version in my view with the sound of an acoustic evident which allows for more variation and great contrast with the electric lead. They also have a recording that lasts 10 seconds shorter than the Ventures which, "is a good thing", 2:55 to the Ventures 3:05. Jorgen Ingmann reduces the length to 2:40 and through the use of drum solos gives the guitarists an additional rest of about 15 seconds. His version is too slow and the flute solo does little to help him out. His song fades out at the end and so does my engram.

All of these instrumental groups are faced with the dilemma of how many times to play the theme while at the same time keeping the listener interested. Raise the melody an octave, add reverb and staccato, a signature beginning and ending, add riffs at different stages. Both the Shadows and Ventures go to the edge of repeating the melody, but I give the Shadows the nod at keeping my interest. The sound effects of the Ventures get annoying after many listenings unless you cut your teeth on it at the time your testosterone peaked. Then conditioning makes this a classic response.

A very interesting compromise is that of the Bert Weedon version. Bert does a very clever thing and I suspect has realized that the melody wears thin. Bert has shortened Apache to 2:01 and has added a number of riffs and arpeggios that are unique and sustain the listeners' attention. He also has a very nice touch and uses his vibrato to good effect. I recommend that all of those interested in Apache give Bert's version a listen.

In the end, I suspect that what you heard at 15, rules!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Excellently Put, if Bert had released his version before The Shadows would history have changed, I personally doubt it, kids of 12, like I was, did not want to be Bert Weedon but to be Hank Marvin was different, every group playing local dance halls, youth clubs etc had Shadows numbers in their set, it was almost obligatory
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

This is my Surf Guitar set up from 1962. The Strat was $289. with brown case from The Santa Ana House of Music. The amp in the picture is a new Fender Tweed Deluxe, but coupled with my Brown Tube Reverb it gets a killer tone.
http://photobucket.com/albums/b53/DaleFortune/000_0272.jpg
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Dale, they are all gorgeous, and your respect for guitars shows in the fact that the Strat looks like it was bought yesterday!

To my mind, the best craftsmen alive show a penchant for organization in their activities. They also have a unique relationship with their things, especially the things of their craft.

When I'm teaching a student whose toolbox and, indeed, whose thought patterns are quite disorganized, I can tell very quickly if there's potential there or if the person will end up in a non-design career path. After working side-by-side with craftsmen since 1970, you get to learn who the devoted, respectful practitioners are, and who the hacks are. Young hacks can be trained, but the craftsman world is filled with old hacks who are out for the bucks alone, but claim to care.

Dale, hats off to you, your work, your patience, and your integrity. It's evident in your creations and respect for what you do and who you are.

And you have my respect, too; that should be obvious!

Finally got the hang of that photobucket thing, eh?
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

Yeah Baby. now if I could figure out how to make a library so others could go to that and view all photos in order, that would be good. I've always taken great care of my equipment, here's my 1966 Gibson 330, I also bought this one new. I put Grovers on it in 1969 and a new bridge with the metal saddles. Still have the original parts though. It pretty much looks new but has more plying time that my Strat.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b53/DaleFortune/000_0273.jpg
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Wish I'd've kept my old guitars...

Add to that all my old cars, my old houses...

But not the old wives.
― Kurt Vonnegut
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Spent the holiday weekend at the beaches in California with my family. Caught the Surfaris at the Huntington Beach pier! Two originals left. Their set included all the major surf songs from the era. Man, they were really good! They had that reverb really working!

Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for this Mike. You have to love reverb for the surfing sound.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Let's not forget the "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen. I believe they were from the Minneapolis area? "Everybody knows that the bird is the word." I always felt that this recording was on the edge, but nver quite made, the novelty category.

rictified

Post by rictified »

Now that's a great song, I was doing that one 30 something years ago.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Last night I pulled out one of my Fenders, cranked up the reverb and a bit of slap back, put on a couple of early BB albums, and attempted to channel the spirit of Carl Wilson through some twin 12 Celestions, for a couple of hours. Surf was Up in the North Bay until sunset.

Great fun. Now if I could just get together the $$$ to get my woodie back from Brasil...
― Kurt Vonnegut
rictified

Post by rictified »

I don't know about Brasil, but you should see the cars in Peru. They love the old 60's Dodges, muy fuerte carros.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Bob, In Brasil, it's WILLYS.

Jee Pees rule! Carros de Jee Pee é muito forte!
― Kurt Vonnegut
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

Man, where is the Spicoli / Mr. Hand dudes when they are needed ???
Hummmmmmmmmm,Gotta think about that one... OK, I'm done.....

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”