The 1960's Big Voices

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

The 1960's Big Voices

Post by admin »

While the late 1950s and early 1960s saw many solo vocal recordings, with backing tracks of one form or another, with the advent of the British Invasion and the emergence of "groups" a number of artists were sharing the spotlight. The frontman persisted but this was not always apparent on the recordings.

At the same time there were some groups that had a solo performer with a voice that seemed to loom large. Whether this was a fucntion of the recording studio or the artist is a matter for debate in some cases. Having said that, there are two big voices that standout for me from memory.

The first was Jay Black of Jay and the Americans. Whether his style tickles your fancy or not, it is a fair bet to say that most would consider he had a fine voice. Who can forget "Come A Little Bit Closer", "Cara Mia" or This Magic Moment." The range and tonality was incredible.

The second is the voice of Gary Puckett of Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. "Woman", "Young Girl" and "Lady Willpower" spring to mind. Again, great range and a powerful voice.

Do you have a favourite Big Voice of the 1960s? Also, why did groups take over for a period of time? Perhaps the evidence does not support this view. What do you think? Recall that the Beatles were turned down by DECCA because "groups were out."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rictified

Post by rictified »

Both of those singers had great voices but their material was not the best IMHO. The Vogues lead singer was also very good. David Clayton Thomas of Blood Sweat and Tears also had a great voice and the band itself was also very good. Peter cetera of Chicago had a great voice also and the band was good too.
Even though many might classify Roy Orbison as more of an early 60's or a 50's artist than a 60's he had his biggest hit in 1964 post-Beatles in "Pretty Woman" and I would classify him in the top three of all time pop vocalists. Elvis also did well pre-64 and after his 1968 comeback show, he had some big hits during the late 60's.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I thnk the quote from Decca A&R was "guitar groups are out". Is that correct?

IMO Jay had a nearly-operatic tenor. The intro to "Cara Mia" is proof.

Gary Pucket was an 8 to Jay's 9.5.

Who can argue with the Legend that is Orbison? Right up until his untimely death, his voice was strong and his range stayed wide.

Highly recommended: The Black and White concert on public TV, which is available on CD. Roy centerstage, with Petty, Springsteen, and another dozen rock legends supporting. The version of PW on this one brings down the house (it's live). Recorded within a year before his passing.

Also: Orbison's best bio, "Dark Star". I forget the author. It's out of print. Reading it you get a sense of the tragedy and triumphs that shaped the Man in his time on this Earth.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bob: I won't argue that the material was perhaps not the best, rather sweet and syrupy. Nonethless, I though their vocals were great.

Yes Paul you are right I should not have put these words in quotes. "Guitar groups are out" rings more loudly for me. Orbison's voice lasted until the end and Jay Black's voice a couple of years ago still had great range although perhaps some of the fullness was gone. But try singing Cara Mia sometime in the shower! I also agree with your ranking of Jay Black being a stronger vocalist that Gary Pucket.

Roy Orbison was a big voice without question. And what make him all the more brilliant was that his compositions were terrific.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Jay Black was actually the second Jay but I concede the better known, Roy Orbison totally agree best concert I ever saw was in Toronto at the Forum In Ontaio Place. Gary Pauckett agree again but there is one singer who stands out an American who had no success in US, unless you count Let's Go by The Routers on which he played Bass, little known fact and that is Scott Walker what a voice, turned out to be an enigma but superb voice.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
octagon

Post by octagon »

Hey how about Tommy James and the Shondells?"Hanky Panky","I Think Were Alone Now" and "Crimson and Clover".Oh and did anyone mention Frankie Vallie?My first concert was seeing the 4 Seasons at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City in the Summer of 1965.After the concert I went to the movie theater on the pier and watched "Help",a memerable day for sure.I also remember seeing posters for upcoming shows at the Pier like The Rolling Stones,Hermans Hermits,The Sir Douglas Quintet and Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs.Wow!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Walker was a great vocalist Roy, and without stretching the truth too far he did have two hits in the US that reached the top 20. "Make It Easy On Yourself" was 16th in 1965 and "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" was 13th in 1966. Both were number one in the UK.

While we are on the subject, outside of the British Invasion era, how is it that there are so many songs that were a big hit in the UK that never saw the light of day in the US? The reverse does not seem to be nearly so true. It seems to me that if there is a big hit in the US, it often times is big in the UK. Has anyone read any articles about this discrepancy?

wayang

Post by wayang »

If one considers the amount of control over U.S. radio waves exercised by corporate advertisers and music labels, this kind of protectionism has to be seen as 'going with the territory'...All the power of those entities is not enough to keep something like The Beatles a secret, but it's certainly enough to squeeze a lot of other music off the dial.

But back to vocalists...I remember that Big Brother and the Holding Company had quite a big-voiced singer for a time...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Oh, yeah? What was his name?
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
rictified

Post by rictified »

So Scott Walker was a member of 'The Walker Brothers'? That's how I remember those songs.
'Let's Go' Routers, great drummer, haha!

I'm going to take a hit on this one for sure but The US is a much bigger pond than the UK. Takes a lot more to make it here than in England. A lot more of everything besides talent I mean, money, press, publicity, touring etc. There is no government rasio station like the BBC here which everyone used to listen to for the top music of the day. Making it in England is akin to making it in one big city here. Many bands here got a lot of airplay in certain cities here but were considered failures because they didn't make the top 40 etc.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Here's a bit o' trivia:

I met David Clayton-Thomas backstage in 1969 in Chicago. Here's the trivia:

When speaking, he had a serious stutter. Never know it from his wonderful (not really strong, but smoky, growly, bluesy) voice!
― Kurt Vonnegut
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I agree with most of what you say, Bob, except the comment about making it in the UK being roughly equivalent to making it in one big city in the USA.

Regional tastes and preferences in the UK give lie to statements such as that, with all due respect!
― Kurt Vonnegut
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

Last night, I heard Roy Orbison's "In Dreams" for the first time. Not only a voice handed down by the Gods, but the lyrics of that song haunt you for a while after you've listened.

On top of that, I found it's great music just to sit and play along with. Those sparse, early classics that really put the vocal out front are great tunes to hone your touch as a bassist. If you're overplaying in the slightest bit, trust me you'll know!
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paul: Your comment is more intriguing to me that you can imagine. You have just provided another illustration of the fact that we use different cerebral pathways for different vocalizations, speech versus singing. A very complex issue that, on another forum might stimulate much debate. I think we have missed the boat historically when trying to explain stuttering as an emotional or nervous issue.

To the topic at hand, David Clayton Thomas has a new CD I believe and I have not had a chance to hear anything from it as yet. I enjoy him immensely, however, he would not be in my top 20 of big 1960s voices.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Peter you are of course correct refernece Walker Brothers always assumed they did not have any hits in US for some reason, Bob's points are also very valid, very few UK artists crack America unless they want to spend most of their time there.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”