Stage Names - Real Names

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
brammy

Post by brammy »

... and Elvis' scarves
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
rictified

Post by rictified »

I would be willing to bet that he changed his name to Englebert Humperdinck because of Tom Jones and BJ Thomas who were big when he came out and were pretty much the same style, male crooners, he needed a gimmick to differentiate himself from them, and who could forget that name?
brammy

Post by brammy »

Not me thats for sure (as much as I've tried).
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
rictified

Post by rictified »

At least you didn't have "Cara Mia" stuck in your brain.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Let's not forget guys that primarily we are discussing 50's to 60's music here, don't mind references, if valid to later periods if related to sixties artists but if we start to encompass 80's, 90's and even 2000 acts we lose what I intended this forum to be about.

No offence intended
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

http://mailaccelerator.dapdrive.com/AV.asp?ID=F30CD4C2-80E5-45E0-9BDD-57AC26333E79
For Stan and anyone else who would like to hear what Gerry Dorsey(Engelbert Humperdinck) sounded like in 64. Single called Take Your Time
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

"96 Tears" is even better!
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
lshaia
Veteran RRF member

Post by lshaia »

Oops. "99 Tears" is the extended mix version.

While I'm here I may as well throw in Bo Didley (Elias Bates) and Muddy Waters (McKinley Morganfield).
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

"? of ? and the Mysterians (99 Teardrops, a great song)"

It is my understanding that he actually changed his name legally to "Question Mark." I never knew his real name. I saw them perform last Sept. They are still quite good. After ? and the Mysterians played, Dick Wagner (another local) played. He was most noted for his playing and songwriting with Alice Cooper. In the '60s his band the Frost did well locally.

Oh yeah. Add Alice to the list.
"The best things in life aren't things."
rictified

Post by rictified »

I've posted this about one hundred times so might as well make it 101, ?'s bass player went to on the be the great bass player of Grand funk Railroad, Mel Schacter.

I remember Dick Wagner with Alice Cooper (Vincent Fournier)You know you wonder why some of these guys changed these great memorable names they had. Could you imagine the album "Killer" by Vincent Fournier? Actually the whole band was originally called Alice Cooper, after he got rid of all the original (great) members he appropriated it for himself.
rictified

Post by rictified »

That sounds very much like "I only want to be with you" Dusty Springfield. and he must have gotten voice lessons after that one.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

?s real name was Rudy Martinez.

Supposedly 96 was recorded in the living room of his rented apartment. When the song became a hit, he had moved and they couldn't recapture that weird ambience (it's a strange kind of "air compression" in the background that my Klipsches pick up in a very disturbing way.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
wayang

Post by wayang »

Can you imagine "I Wanna Be Your Dog" sung by a guy named James Osterberg?
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
brammy

Post by brammy »

>>>96 was recorded in the living room of his rented apartment

WOW... gee, I've recorded stuff in a rented apartment and it never came out that well. Yea, thats the ticket... it wasn't lack of talent, I just had the wrong apartment!

(I feel so much better) Image
rictified

Post by rictified »

I saw old James sing it. I used to love 96 Tears, listened to it on an old console radio with a 12" speaker, all kinds of bass. How loud the bass was was my criteria for how much I liked a song when I was a kid usually. I flunked English.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”