Country Music Crosses Over

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

of course Kent Glen Campbell did It's only Make Believe, in the UK Billy Fury had a big hit with the song and for the past 20 years it has featured in The Searchers stage act.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
harley

Post by harley »

Johnny Horton also did "The Battle Of New Orleans" (in 1814 we took a little trip...) and a great version of "Honky Tonk Man". Other somewhat well-known songs were "North To Alaska" and "Johnny Reb".
rictified

Post by rictified »

Coincidently I am listening to Conway Twitty right now and just heard "It's only make believe" (his country updated version, I like the original better), although I love his country stuff too. Are you sure there's no such thing as coincidences Peter? Maybe we're all on the same wavelength.I remember the battle too, haha!
brammy

Post by brammy »

yup, Roy... I got the Campbell and Fury versions of Make Believe too. Both were very good.

It prompted me to get a few more Billy Fury songs.... I never realized it, but that boy could really sing! (no wonder John Lennon was in awe of him when the Silver Beatles auditioned for the Billy Fury / Larry Parnes sponsored tour - which they didn't get, going to Scotland with Johnny Genltle instead (pictured here) ... and what a ****** stage name Johnny Gentle is!.... but I digress)

Didn't know that The Searchers were doing it. The slower original is very good but I really got hooked on Ronnie McDowells upbeat version.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
tim
Veteran RRF member

Post by tim »

"It's Only Make Believe" doesn't feature in the 'standard' Searchers' set these days. But it was a 'regular' item from January 1986 (and for a good number of years afterwards) when Spencer James joined.
The Searchers are the best!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Depends what you call a standard set Tim, on these package tour things where they do 40 minutes then yes it is not featured anymore but was still in the set list, at least last time I saw them, which is fairly regular on the solo show things.
tim
Veteran RRF member

Post by tim »

I've been to a couple of shows recently and it didn't feature in either half of either show. The only 'country' number was Brooks and Dunn's "Every River".
The Searchers are the best!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

What a good song too Tim but I'm biased for reasons I won't mention.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”