Great B Sides

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Great B Sides

Post by admin »

A number of young listeners often look totally bewildered when I talk about the A and B side of 1960s recordings.

There were some B sides, however, that were preferable to the A side. can you name any?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

For me Peter, P.S.I Love You was better than Love Me Do
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I couldn't agree more Roy. "Love Me Do" is fun to play but not one of my favourite Beatle songs to listen to. "P.S. I Love You" is, on the other hand, a great number.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well the sparks may fly on my submission, however, I much prefer "I Saw Her Standing There" to "I Want To Hold Your Hand." Even today, forty years later, the former is better received at live performances.

I understand that "I Saw Her Standing There" wasn't released in the UK as a single. "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was the first big Beatles' hit in the US, but I still like the B side.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

No it wasn't Peter it was the opening track on their first album
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

As I remember it, This Boy was "B" to I Want To Hold Your Hand. - And a great "B" too!
Searchers amongst my teenage favourite music. Still fond of them, but earnestly a little puzzled they are considered THIS big! But I'm very excited about this forum, and will love to read it regularly, and also contribute!
jerrymac51

Post by jerrymac51 »

I believe La Bamba was originally the flip side of Donna before becoming a hit on it's own. Donna's OK, but La Bamba rocks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Einar: It seems that we are both right on this one.

I Want To Hold Your Hand/This Boy
Parlophone R5084 - November 29, 1963

I Want To Hold Your Hand/I Saw Her Standing There
Capitol 5112 - January 13, 1964

In both cases, I prefer the B Side.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

You are correct Jerry.

One "B"side that I suspect most of you staeside have not heard because it did nothing in US was Juliet by The Four Pennies, originally it was issued as the "B" SIDE OF "Tell Me Girl2 but some radio DJ started to play "Juliet" which due to demand for the song forced record company to re-issue the single with tracks reveresed, it went all the way to number 1 in UK.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I'm pretty sure "I want to Hold your Hand" was the first Beatles tune I ever heard, on the strength of that I prefer it over "I saw her Standing There". This boy was "instrumental" in my playing bass so I really like that one as well.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Roy: I've said before that there is no better time than now to be a student of 1960's music. Now is a great time to pick-up one of several currently Four Pennies CD's and listen to everything they ever released. There are no B-sides anymore, and we aren't limited to hearing whatever radio and music industry promoted at the time. And being stateside isn't a problem for anyone who is interested in seeking this music out. Besides having several CD copies of 'Juliet', I've also got a videocassette of the Four Pennies miming this tune in a 1963 film called 'Big Beat'.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Randy could not agree more and glad to know a Texan has actually heard of the Four Pennies, not to every one's taste but for me they made some good tracks Trouble is mymiddle name is especially good though as good a voice Linonel Murton had their version odf Running Scared is not in the same league as my namesake's. I would have to correct your last comment with due respect though Randy they did not release the track till 64 and I do not recall a film called Big Beat. Is it possible this is a video of some show or just clips of various beatgroups.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Roy: I take my British music of the sixties pretty seriously. I have a pretty good collection of video that I've accumulated. I clearly made a mistake on the date of the film. The tape in question is called 'British Big Beat', although when the title appears on the screen it confusingly says 'Go-Go Big Beat!'. It was compiled by Rhino Records on RNVD 1930 (released in 1989) from two theatrical films entitled 'Swinging U.K.' and 'U.K. Swings Again' both from 1965. The songs are introduced by Brian Matthew, Kent Walton, and Alan Freeman. All of the performances are mimed on a soundstage and filmed in colour (did I spell that right?). The bands featured include The Cockneys, Brian Poole and The Tremeloes, The Wackers, Millie Small, The Merseybeats, The Migil Five, The Animals, The Swinging Blue Jeans, The Four Pennies, Lulu and The Luvvers, The Hollies, The Tornadoes, and The Applejacks. Most of the artists 'perform' two numbers.

By the way, I've been all over Texas, but never have visited Wink, Roy Orbison's hometown. I did however spend my college years in Lubbock, Buddy Holly's hometown.

Cheers!
brammy

Post by brammy »

Maybe the greatest B-side of all time
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

For so many Beatles and CCR records, it's tough to really consider one side the A and the other side the B track, both songs are so great!

For Beatles songs, I'd vote for Rain (B-side to Paperback Writer) as the best B-side.

The Who also had some noteable B-sides: Mary Anne With The Shakey Hands (B-side of I Can See For Miles), Someone's Coming (B-side of Magic Bus, I think ...?), Heaven And Hell (B-side of The Seeker, I think ....?), to name a few.

My all-time favorite B-side is from the early 1970s - The Guess Who's Broken (B-side of Albert Flasher).
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”