Skiffle Music

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Or unsophisicated music, that to unsympathetic ears, sounded like a row...
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am inclined to think that you are on the right track Paul. Unsavoury or non-conventional music with the addition of too much partying may indeed have resembled a row or certailny sounded like one. An aberration leading to a new style of music. While we are on the subject of celebration, Happy 4th.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Sounds just like blues to me.

Oh, and rock 'n' roll, too.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, blues with a washboard, kazoo, tea chest, jug and some items from your workbench thrown in. Yes sir, you had to be a real craftsman to play in the Skiffle Bands. Hammering out those tunes was no easy task.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rictified

Post by rictified »

Sounds like country music to me. I still think Merton missed the meaning of that experience it's like Christianity all over again except for idolizing statues they idolize airplane parts, both are waiting for their respective saviours to return: Christ and big bird, haha! The parts are symbols of their long awaited savior, that is not materialistic to me. I was born and baptised Catholic BTW so I'm not criticing something that I'm not a part of.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I suppose that by replacing the rhythm section with a washboard and jug and the brass with voices this may sound more rustic and folklike or country. What I enjoy about the philosophy this music is that it allows for the participation of many.

rictified

Post by rictified »

grass roots music.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Bob, that is another angle that is of course open to the skeptic's interpretation.

Back to the topic:

To my mind and ear, there is little as powerful as indigenous music, played by people who feel--and damn the 64th note runs!
― Kurt Vonnegut
rictified

Post by rictified »

I think it pays to be skeptical, in fact that is the foundation of scientific inquiry isn't it?. Yeah I hear everything in it country, blues, and rock n roll.
brammy

Post by brammy »

>>>>Yeah I hear everything in it country, blues, and rock n roll.

yup, me too.... and bluegrass also. Not my cup of tea.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

It's the banjo, Kent. Without banjo=no Beatles. A necessary evil.

I prefer bagpipes to banjo, personally, for sound. Maybe because bagpipes remind me of Keystone, Colorado (good), and the banjo reminds me of--

Garrison Keillor.
― Kurt Vonnegut
brammy

Post by brammy »

No banjo=no Beatles.... yup, I guess that is very true in a Lennony sort of way.

I was thinking of one aspect of the legend of Beatle creation that never gets any attention. When speaking of how the group was formed, focus is always placed on the Quarrymen and how John met Paul and how Paul then brought his friend George to meet John.

But few people realize that Paul and George were already playing guitar together before that fateful day at the Woolton Fete.

It is certainly correct to see the Quarrymen as the embryo group that developed into the Beatles, but is another way, you can think of it as John and his group who made contact with another ongoing (albeit less organized than John's) musical effort .... the duo of Paul and George.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

And made a band with two leaders, which eventually became one with two and three-quarters leaders, and fell apart when it ceased to be fun and the money was no longer an incentive.
― Kurt Vonnegut
brammy

Post by brammy »

true.... and there were a number of mini Beatle "breakups" before the Paul/Alan Klein mess. George in particular almost quit on a few occasions. "That's it. I'm no longer a Beatle", said George after their last concert.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”