Gerry and the Pacemakers

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
Scastles

Gerry and the Pacemakers

Post by Scastles »

There's been a lot of talk about Gerry and the Pacemakers, in one way or the other, in different threads on Roy's Topics. Admitfully, I enjoyed G&P but never really got into them very deeply or know much of their history. Why did they fail to progess further, Roy, or Peter, or anyone who has their own take on this? And what kept them from going further? Also, what's the best compilation available to purchase on them?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
rictified

Post by rictified »

They were great, I loved their stuff, I'd like to get a good compilation also but you don't seem to see many. I like it!
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

You can get their first two albums on one CD. That would be a great start.

Their manager was Brian Epstein (Beatles) who died in 1967.

As soon as the Beatles changed formula in 1967, many beat groups couldn't keep up.

Gerry Marsden couldn't write songs like Lennon or McCartney either.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I always though he suffocated from wearing his guitar too tight.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Karl interesting you say you can get their first two albums on one CD,because in UK incredible as it may seem only one album was released excluding Ferry Cross The Mersey soundtrack and the numerous compilation albums over the years. Albums were reelased in States that were not released in UK.

Same with Billy J Kramer only one official album released, when you consider how well their singles sold in 63/64 it is a mystery. don't know if you have ever visited Clough Links but on it I explain how Pye records who had The Searchers overexposed the band clearly tried to put as much as they could (4 singles and 3 albums released in a 12 month period)before they thought the "bubble" would burst, In some ways they were correct the Merseybeat boom was over by end of 65.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Never released in UK Don't let the sun released in July 64 in US and Second Album released in Nov 64. Their first album and only album bar Ferry soundtrack was called How Do You Like It was released in UK in Oct 63 but never released in States, hence that is why my query
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Funny but I prefer the US albums over the UK's with Gerry.

Having all those beat tunes on one CD is cool too!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gerry Marsden, Freddie Marsden (drums), Les Chadwick (piano) were initially known as the Mars Bars. I understand that Gerry had some singles released as a solo artist in the late 1960s including some of the following:

Please Let Them Be/I'm Not Blue
CBS 2784 (1967)

Gilbert Green/What Makes Me Love You
CBS 2946 (1967)

Liverpool/Charlie Girl (released as Gerry Marsden & Derek Nimmo)
CBS 3575 (1968)

In The Year Of April/Every Day
NEMS 56-3831 (1968)

Every Little Minute/In Days Of Old
NEMS 56-4229 (1969)

I've Got My Ukelele/What A Day
Decca F 13172 (1971)

None of these charted in the US to my knowledge. Did any of the above make it in the UK Roy?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

No they didn't but Please let them be was great,regretfully I only have it on tape and have not got round to converting it.He tried to become a sort of all round entertainer appearing in a musical Charlie Girl which is noted, he even ended up playing straight men to a puppet Sooty.
brammy

Post by brammy »

Having only seen little clips of Gerry Marsden, he seems to be a softspoken very nice guy.

I wonder what guys like that think of the hyper stardom of Beatles who were at one point in time sharing equal (or lesser) with them.

Which makes me think of Rory Storm. He committed suicide in the late 60's (with his mother Mona who had stayed friends with the Beatles over the years). At one point he WAS the big star in Liverpool but by the mid 60's it was "Rory who?".

(I'm not claiming that the Beatles stardom drove Rory to suicide,
but it certainly could have been a factor.
...and dig Ringo's crazy shades!
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

He was not the only one from the Merseybea legacy, Johnny Sandon, Brian O Hara (Fourmost) are two that immediately spring to mind also.

Believe me, Gerry is not really a soft spoken guy
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Did Gerry have a sister who was a singer?Somehow I'm recalling one of the known British invasion bands had someone who had a sister who was kinda known as well.While I'm on that, Who was LULU?
She was married to Maurice Gibb, I think, for a while, wasn't she?She did that, "To Sir, With Love" tune...
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Marie Lawrie is her real name. Don't think she was related to Gerry.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With regard to Gerry's peaceful or gentle manner, recall that he sawed the top of the headstock of a brand new Rickenbacker 12 string to squeeze it into a homemade shipping box for his trip to New York.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”