Drumming Up A Storm

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Drumming Up A Storm

Post by admin »

When I first became interested in music in the late 1950s, I was taken by the drummers at first and one that comes to mind is Sandy Nelson.

He did well in both the US and the UK with "Teen Beat" in 1959 and "Let There Be Drums" in 1961.

Who was the drummer that made you sit up and take notice during the late 50s and early 1960s?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I also can't resist commenting on the "Wipe Out" classic by Ron Wilson drummer of the Surfaris. Quite a workout to be sure.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

http://mailaccelerator.dapdrive.com/AV.asp?ID=12F6C384-B778-4AFB-B6CA-A678E8F23AFC

Inspired another RC classic, Jet Harris and Tony Meehan ( two Ex Shadows) from 1963 number 1

Brian bennett of the shadows he replaced Meehan is an excellent drummer, always had a solo spot on any Shadows tour and playe dfor about 20 minutes whilst others left the stage, always got a great ovation.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: A great number Roy. Definitely a "wild west" feel with some nice drumming as well.

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Mel Taylor of the early Ventures. A classic SoCal/Las Vegas type of guy. Not only could he rock, but you know he had some stories to tell just by looking at him!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

I was a minor jazz fan back then and the likes of Charlie Byrd, Stan Getz and Dave Brubeck had already caught my ear, so drummers like Gene Krupa with his snappy snare and big bass drum were miles ahead of the country and rock-a-billie rhythms.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Sandy Nelson was similar to Gene Krupa wasn't he in some ways such as doing a lot of jungle drum solos etc. I liked both Sandy and Gene. I even think of Ringo and Dave Clark as being a couple of good drummers from that era. Ringo did a lot of nice fills that were buried in the mix, he did stuff like the big one, that is a lost art unless you are a jazz drummer today, he accented with the bass drum, not very common anymore.
It was a bad decade to be a drummer however as they were usually buried in the mix. Great era for bass players though.
Yes a lot of the stuff you've played has had that western movie sound track to it Roy, I expect to see Clint Eastwood come walking out any second.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bob: You have made my day.

ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

My Dad was a huge fan of Gene Krupa - therefore I was. "Sing Sing Sing"!!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
rictified

Post by rictified »

I forgot to say I also think Teen beat is about the coolest drum tune I've ever heard, I actually tried to get my last band to do it but they hemmed and hawed, I was surprised as especially the guitarist was really in to the 50's music.
jerrymac51

Post by jerrymac51 »

Keith Moon
rictified

Post by rictified »

I had him and a few others until I noticed the question was about the late 50's early 60's.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK Bob. Let's go over the top an include drummers in the mid to late 1960s as well.

Keith Moon from July 30, 1966

rictified

Post by rictified »

OK, Ginger Baker was one of my favorites. I was always a huge Cream fan anyway.
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

My unofficial short list...

John Bonham (best feel of any drummer, period)Ginger Baker
Ringo (Never gets enough credit)
Keith Moon (Pushed the beat, sometimes a little too much)
Mitch Mitchell (when he wasn't overplaying)
Bill Bruford (where'd I put that pesky downbeat?)

Sorry I stuck so much to late 60's Brit rock... I'm available for lashings if I went too far off topic!
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”