Drumming Up A Storm

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Moonie said it was Krupa and other jazz greats that inspired him to do the double bass kit with The Who. He was the first rock drummer to do so. Moon also went for a strech without the use of a high-hat.

I like Hal Blaine too.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Ringo........the original Jim Keltner.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

60's is 60's late or early don't apologise.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Hal Blaine was THE session drummer in LA in the '60s. Everybody thought that Dennis Wilson was the Beach Boys' drummer. NOT! It was HB. On the road, Dennis, but he was too loose early on, and too drugged later, to have any effect on their music. Hal was their studio beat.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
brammy

Post by brammy »

>>>>Everybody thought that Dennis Wilson was the Beach Boys' drummer. NOT! It was HB

YIPES! ... I'm shattered. I really did think that Dennis was the drummer on the records.

Dang. The next thing you're going to tell me is that the Monkees didn't play the instruments on their early records or something crazy like that!

Which actually opens up a whole new thread of famous records and "phantom musicians". The who-played-what story would be pretty interesting to hear.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

rictified

Post by rictified »

Brian Wilson didn't play much bass on their stuff either, I think they all played on the very early stuff like 409, Surfin' Safari etc. but they got real good real fast all of a sudden. Yeah he didn't play their real early stuff but man did he play on a lot of hits.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you see the Beach Boys perform on July 4th. Comments?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
harley

Post by harley »

Ringo was the first one I ever really noticed as young kid. Of the 50s stuff I listen to now, I really like the drummer for Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps (Dickie Harrell). He has/had great feel and he plays inside the song instead of "lead" drums. I also really like the drummers from the Funk Brothers, the Motown studio band.
rictified

Post by rictified »

The "Blue Caps" were an outstanding band.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Jerry Allison of the Crickets was great too.

Those are real paradiddles on 'Peggy Sue'.
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

My first drumming "kick": B.J. Wilson on Procol Harum's A Salty Dog. Where he enters at 60 seconds sharp. Late 60's.
Searchers amongst my teenage favourite music. Still fond of them, but earnestly a little puzzled they are considered THIS big! But I'm very excited about this forum, and will love to read it regularly, and also contribute!
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

wayang

Post by wayang »

Max Roach, Ringo, Charlie Watts, Bill Bruford, Mitch Mitchell, Bobby Colomby, Phil Collins, Aynsley Dunbar...

And again, Max Roach.
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
rictified

Post by rictified »

I saw Steve Gadd with James Taylor a few weeks ago, phenomenal. How about Tony Williams and Art Blakey?

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”