The Four Seasons

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
rictified

Post by rictified »

I always thought The Hondells were the Beachboys.
It's been too long since I've heard the Tradewinds song.

Anyone remember the Dylan song the Four Seasons covered? "Don't Think Twice but it's all right"? It sounds like he was gargling, haha!
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I think the Hondells (Little Honda)was produced by Murray Wilson, Brian's dad, after Brian fired him as manager. It was a spiteful move by Murray. The group featured a future Beach Boy!
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Sort of related to all this, but someone tell me; is it only me who thinks Billy Joels' "Uptown Girl" sounds like Frankie Valli?
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

I think "Uptown Girl" was a conscious nod to the Four Seasons by Billy. Seem to recall that he mentioned it in interviews at the time. The way he says "ti-yi-yime" and "mi-yi-yind" in the bridge are a dead give away:
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

I'd like to hear a Frankie Valli version of this! I can hear him singing it.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
brammy

Post by brammy »

yup, good point. "Uptown Girl" was a bit more than a nod, it was virtually a tribute song to the 4S.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
chingnchime

Post by chingnchime »

Back again- As much as I liked their early stuff, they lost me completely when Frankie came out w/ the ultimate in smarmy 'grown up'pap like CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF OF YOU. I think every 35 year old shoe salesman in 1967 bought it immediately, thinking it was the greatest, along with Ramsay Lewis's nauseating 'piano noodling at a groovy cocktail party' version of THE IN CROWD and Chris Montez's flat singalong of CALL ME.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Jerry, I think you may have the Hondells mixed up with the Sunrays.

The Hondells were produced by Gary Usher (co-author of "409"). Thedy were a studio group which contained Glen Campbell, later Beach Boy for a few months in between Brian and Bruce. Curt Boettcher (Association) was also a member.

The Sunrays (Don Ralke and the Medora Brothers) were known as the Renegades and werre playing at topless bars when Murry listened to them on a friend's recommendation

Glen Campbell played lead on "I Live for the Sun", but was not formally a member of the group.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Paul, I suspect you're right. The Sunrays had Bruce Johnson, later a BB, correct?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Bruce was never in the Sunrays. Personnel were as above.

Bruce was one half of the production team of Bruce and Terry, with Terry Melcher, Doris Day's son and reportedly the original intended target with his refusal to produce Charlie Manson's album after originally agreeing to same just to get Charlie off his back.

Bruce was a member of the Ripchords ("Hey Little Cobra", et. al.), and did studio work on numerous track. He also issued one solo album, "Going Public" which was well-produced but sort of an extended "Disney Girls 1957". One song, sweet, but a whole album of sameness could make your teeth ache.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Johnston also penned Manilow's, I Write The Songs...might have sounded better coming from someone else but probably wouldn't have been near as succesful.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

It's actually on Johnston's album. He makes it sound somehow like a wistful lounge lizard anthem. He does have a very pure sort of relaxed Vienna choir boy delivery.
― Kurt Vonnegut
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Final note on my mention of Billy Joel; So "Uptown Girl" is him doing 4 Seasons.Again, anyone think Billys' tune[I think this is the title?] "My Life" sounds like McCartney could have as well done it.
chingnchime

Post by chingnchime »

Don, have you heard Joel's DON'T ASK ME WHY? I think he really sounds like Paul circa RUBBER SOUL era. One one of the choruses he actually says, 'Don't AXE me why'.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Agreed, Steve and Don. I also think that half the commercial jingles out there sound like Mac could have written them.
― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”