Signature Introductions to Classic Songs

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Signature Introductions to Classic Songs

Post by admin »

While The Beatles made very good use of instrumental signature song introductions in the 1960s, the opening chord of A Hard Day's Night being perhaps the most famous example, what other classic instrumental openings do you recall from late 1950s through the 1960s?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Tambourine Man, Everlasting Love(Love Affair -though they did not play on it)

MOVE IT was a classic instro opening despite what Bob thinks.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
bassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by bassman »

Peter,

Jimmy Webb's McArthur's Park has that classic harpsicord intro played by Larry Knetchel that's instantly recognizable.

I love Richard Harris' (Jimmy Webb) verion of this tune.
apollo11
Intermediate Member

Post by apollo11 »

Beach Boys' blazing guitar intro to Surfin USA

Elvis: Double bass intro to Don't Be Cruel (McCartney used a very similar bass line for The Ballad of John and Yoko)

CCR's Down on the Corner

Stones' Satisfaction

Buddy Holly: xylophone intro to Everyday
Andrew
'05 4001C64, Fireglo
'03 4003, Jetglo
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Larry Knetchel later a memeber of Bread of Course.

The Association were originally offered McArthur Park
bassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by bassman »

The Zombies, She's Not There and The Grass Roots, Midnight Confessions both have great starting intro bass lines.

"The Association were originally offered McArthur Park".

I read that just this week on Jimmy Webb's website. I'm glad they turned it down. It just wouldn't have been the same.
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

The Searchers with 'Needles & Pins' is a cracking intro.
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
stubby
Intermediate Member

Post by stubby »

The drum whack followed closely by the keyboards on "Like a Rolling Stone."
rictified

Post by rictified »

"MOVE IT was a classic instro opening despite what Bob thinks."
The intro was ok Roy, it was the rest of the song I didn't like, haha!

Yes, and that drum wack in Like a Rolling Stone still sets up a feeling of excited anticipation in me much like Pavlov's Dog. (I don't drool though, only drummers do that)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Well, while we're sorts on the Association, they were pretty good at 4-bar signature intros.

Viz: "Along Comes Mary", "Cherish", Windy", "Never My Love", "Enter the Young", etc., etc.

One of the most musically sophisticated, best-produced groups of the '60s, IMO.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jerrymac51

Post by jerrymac51 »

Stairway to Heaven and Can't you hear my Heartbeat by Herman's Hermits. I've heard that they were both played by some guy named Page, but then again, Page takes credit for every great guitar part ever recorded (like the solo in You Really Me)!!!

Here's another great intro and a funny story about it which I don't know if it's true or not. The story I heard is that S&G recorded the original acoustic version for their first album Wednesday Morning 5AM which flopped big-time. When folk rock hit big, the Columbia big-wigs decided to electrify the acoustic version of Sounds of Silence and bought in some studio musicians to add drums and bass and electric guitar tracks to the acoustic track. Including the great electric guitar intro.

All this time, Simon's been hiding out in London, bummed out over the failure of the Wednesday Morning album. Columbia tracks him down, tells him they're going to release the new version, and Simon heads back to the states to promote the song.

S&G are booked on one of the rock TV shows like Shindig, and at the rehearsal, Simon walks over to the studio musician playing electric guitar (no, it wasn't Jimmy Page, I kinda remember it being Tommy Tedesco). Simon proceeds to tell the guitarist that he wants the intro played exactly like it recorded on the single and offers to show the session man how HE (Simon) played it on the record. The guitarist looks up at Simon and says (paraphrased), "No a**hole, I'll show you how I played the intro on the record."
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

According to Ray Davis, Page was not even the session that produced You Really Got Me, why would he lie, Page himself has as far as I know never actully claimed it was him.

This gives some info but I concede a number of websites claim it was Page.

http://www.creemmagazine.com/BeatGoesOn/Kinks/UnravelsTheKinks001.html
jerrymac51

Post by jerrymac51 »

Hi Roy,

In the article you referenced, Ray does say Page "...now he says that he played it!" referring to the lead in All Day. One thing for certain IMO, the two solos (YRGM & ADAATN} were perpertrated by the same evil mind. BTW, the Kinks are the most underrated band from that era. In terms of originality, beautiful melodies, witty lyrics and the ability to reinvent themselves at will they are second only to those Beatle guys. IMHO.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

100% agreement here, Jerry!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Jerry who really knows, the article does quote Davis as saying he thinks Page is an A---hole not sure if the point you aremaikng is that Davis confirmed Page playe dlead on All Day but Davis does not support that. BTW Jerry on an earlier thread I posted the KInks second single one before You---- which allegedly only sold 127 copies, if you missed it nad have not heard let me know I'll send it to you.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”