Signature Introductions to Classic Songs

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
apollo11
Intermediate Member

Post by apollo11 »

Three more, then I promise to not be a bother any more.....tonight!

Two by Canned Heat---both have very unique intros:

On The Road Again
Goin' Up The County

Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In by the 5th Dimension. Another great intro, and talk about a fantastic bass tune. Some of the most awesome bass I've ever heard in the second section of this classic.
Andrew
'05 4001C64, Fireglo
'03 4003, Jetglo
rictified

Post by rictified »

Joe Osborn played bass on that.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I think I should add Johnny Cash's "I Walk The Line" to the list.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
wayang

Post by wayang »

I feel the same way about "Fire" by The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, but it's not an instrumental...what an intro, nonetheless!
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

Cetera plays great bass on "Questions 67 & 68". Very McCartney-like slides into notes. I always thought it a great loss that after he went solo, I never saw Cetera play bass.
wayang

Post by wayang »

I saw him a couple of times, playing with Terry Kath, a fabulous guitarist: what a combination! (Kath, like Peter Gabriel, took most of the brains away when he left the band...he just did it in a more theatrical way.)

Cetera was a great bass player...would that he had been happy just to be that...another member of the Phil Collins "Shut Up and Play Your Axe" Club. They'll get their own wing in the MHOF, IMHO.
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

I was gonna mention Phil. Great minds think alike Image
wayang

Post by wayang »

Sorry, Dave, you're right...I gotta quit hoggin' bat practice and let everybody get a swing...
rictified

Post by rictified »

I agree Cetera was great, one of or maybe even the best pickstyle bassist I've ever heard, even with his solo stuff the bass lines were great although they were usually played with a synth.
Those guys could really play and I wore out that album when I was a kid, well 17 years old anyway.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

It's a good thing Cetera left Aorta, a band few besides myself has ever heard of.

There are other great Cetera basslines in Chicago songs; two that stick in my mind are Where Do We Go From Here and What's This World Coming To.

Another great 1970-1971 signature intro: No Matter What by Badfinger.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
harley

Post by harley »

The intro to Baby Blue by Badfinger is great, too. From the same general time frame, What Is Life by George Harrison is both good and instantly recognizable. I always kind of hoped he'd take another try at that one. I think an older George would have brought a whole different "something" to it.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I did not see Day Tripper, In my Life, All you need is Love or Paperback Writer on any earlier posts so here my four pennies worth.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”