1960s Car Songs

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
octagon

Post by octagon »

I think that many of the classic California car songs were the result of Gary Usher's introduction of Brian Wilson to LA DJ,Hot Rod enthusiast and rock and roll poet Roger Christian. Christian wrote the lyrics to all those classic car songs we know so well(Dead Man's Curve,Little Duece Coup,409 etc).This was one of the greatest songwriting partnerships of the 60's IMHO.Their first collaboration was "Shut Down" but my favorite B.W./R.C song is "Spirit Of America".Roger Christian also wrote alot of great songs in collaboration with Gary Usher,Jan Berry,Barry Mann and others including Three Window Coup,Bucket T,Rockin Little Roadster,My Mighty G.T.O,Hot Rod High,Death Valley Run,Two Wheel Show Stopper,I Gotta Drive etc.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Remember Ronny and the Daytonas second chart release: "Sandy" (early '66, I believe...) Good ballad and one of the last "Surfer Girl" type songs to chart.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

Beep Beep, Beep Beep, the little Nash Rambler went Beep..............................Also ya'll remember Commander Cody and "Hot Rod Lincoln"
(Damn, now I'm showing my age)

HEY PAUL..... Ordered a Taylor T5 In San Jose Fri...
Hummmmmmmmmm,Gotta think about that one... OK, I'm done.....
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

John, GC San Fran has T5s in stock and the price ain't bad (about $200 over your wait until September price). I played one last week and I'm blown away. Its general construction is very similar to a Rick, and sounds are strictly 21st century. I predict great success for them on this one, and I congratulate them on a quantum leap on acoustic/electric instruments.

What color did you go with? (They even have their own version of FG.)
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

Paul.... "Transparent Black, Edgeburst" will be in next week (Guitar Showcase) I will have to EM the price to you, VERY GOOD..... I played the Koa and checked out a blue....black and their Yup pretty close to Fireglow,..... I like the "subdued colors"

COOKING IN THE VALLEY
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

John have you heard the original "Hot Rod Lincoln" written and recorded in the 50's by a country artist: Johnny Bond? Like most things, your 1st impression is always the best, so I have to go with the original as the best even though it is.
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

Dale.....You betcha.........I just addressed to the Commander Cody version (lots of "young folks" out there.....

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”