In protest

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Oh just remembered we also did Don't Throw your Love away. Now was I going up the stairs or down the stairs? Hmmmm.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Jeez, Roy, must we hear constantly about those bl**dy Searchers?

(JOKE OVER)
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

In a word Paul YES
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

OK, OK, OK!!!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Hey Roy,

How many protest songs did the Searchers record in the 60's, if any?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

If we include album tracks then "where have all the flowers gone" "what have they done to the rain" "for what it's worth"(never released) "Popcorn Double Feature"
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Just remembered we occasionally did Where Have All The Flowers Gone in some of our sets. Great version.

This is like going back in time.

Thanks Roy. Great info.

harley

Post by harley »

Roy, and other UK members, what's your take on Paul McCartney "recasting" Blackbird as having some relationship with the civil rights movement? Supposedly he meant a black woman, or "bird" in the English vernacular. I've only heard that explanation of the song in the last couple of years and it never seemed "genuine". Maybe because I had looked at the song differently for so long already. How does it play in the UK.

And, while not going into any particular political viewpoint (mine are too scattered to make sense to even me), the point about Ohio was it's a realatively short song about a current event, a snapshot, so to speak. Taking it, or any song, as "reporting" allows you to explain complex problems in very simple terms, usually inaccurately.

Still, "we good, them bad" has always played well with some of the public. ;)
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

never heard that but it's possible, equally he could now say "we can work it out " refered to the cuban missle crisis.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”