Finding Faithfull Fans

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Finding Faithfull Fans

Post by admin »

It is interesting to ponder what might have been for Marianne Faithful had she been more focused on music and perhaps less on the lifestyle that went with it.

Jagger and Richards would begin their songwriting together with Marianne's big hit "As The Tears Go By" which rocketed up the charts. Decca would move quickly on this success but outside of "Come And Stay With Me" in 1965, Marianne's material fizzled.

I really enjoyed both of these compositions which were unique for their time. The 12 string is also used to very good effect on "As The Tears Go By."

I recall seeing a book simply entitled "Faithfull" in the 1990s but, not really being one of them, I didn't purchase it. While I may be off base here, had she injected more into her music and less in the rock lifestyle Marianne Faithfull might have been a very big success in the music business.

On the other hand, I have wondered too if her limited success hinged more on the strong compositions than her singing talent.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

She did have 2 other top ten hits, This Little Bird also a hit for Nashville Teens and Summer Nights, probably her best. Come and Stay With Me, a Jackie De Shannon song, I believe, was her biggest hit.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for these details Roy. While she did better than I thought, it is a pity that she did not go further as her vocals were unique.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

In their book, the Stones describe her as an ex-nun with big (I forget the terminology they used. I'll just say *******). The song, as I've heard in an old Jagger interview, was originally called "As Time Goes By"
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

That would put her on a par with her seeming (separated at birth) twin sister, Helen Mirren, in another, er, category.

ImageImage

At top is Marianne in '69, middle left is Marianne now; middle right is Helen in '69, bottom is Helen now.

Both are quite memorable for 60-year-old women!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Last I saw of her (on TV of course) she was being carted away by the police in a rolled up carpet. She was apparently naked. Too funny.

If memory serves me correct the cops had raided the home where Jagger and company were staying looking for drugs.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Judging by the pictures posted, she still looks a bit of allright in my books
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

http://mailaccelerator.dapdrive.com/AV.asp?ID=F248A514-71F3-4407-BD6A-15D444AECF64

This was her best single of the sixties, in my view of course, enjoy.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

She's gotten better. Viz: Vagabond Ways (the title song).
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Yes her recent work is very good. She had a bit of a renaissance in the '80's, too. Recently, she's said she'll stop recording, because the market for her material is gone.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

compare her voice now to that in the sixties and a marked difference probably the cigs, she was a heavy smoker but I read recently has quit. i have a rarity which I'll post later
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

I'm trying to think of the song from one of her 80s (I think) albums where she used all the four letter words!!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

WAS THAT BALLAD OF LUCY JORDAN
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Nope. It was "Why'd Ya Do It?" Lucy Jordan (written by the late Shel Silverstein) was clean but sad.
― Kurt Vonnegut
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

That's it!! Thanks, Paul.
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”