Swinging Blue Jeans Bass player

Les Braid Passes on

http://www.my-generation.org.uk/les.htm
If you got it? Play it!

I own 620/6, 330/6, 360/12, 4001
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

The Swinging Blue Jeans as far as I know never scored in US, in fact they only had a total of 5 hits in UK but they are still playing and you don't survive 47 years in the business without having something, last saw Les Braid in March and he was still playing but did not look well, subsequently he had to pull out of the massive tour they were on with Searchers,Gerry and The Pacemakers, Merseybeats groups whose hit period was over by 66, yet here they were playing a 61 date tour in the Uk to mostly packed house every night.

Les started out in Liverpool and never left the place.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

"Hippy Hippy Shake" wasn't a US hit?
weelittlescot

Post by weelittlescot »

Yes Kenny I think it was, its on tons of "various Artist" Collections and "hits of the 60's" CD's

This is how I "found" them (please keep in mind I was born in 68 LOL)

I do hope the the history books get it right and are kind to the Swinging Blue Jeans and remember that they have a very big part in events that came out of Merseyside in the 60's.

I think people should know the story of the group and the roll they played (along with many others) in giving the world the british "beat music" that so many of us love.

Now like Roy points out 61 date tour! WOW!

You have to be doing something right?

RJ
If you got it? Play it!

I own 620/6, 330/6, 360/12, 4001
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kenny: I believe it got to number 25 on the US charts. Commendable but I am sure the SBJ's were looking for a stronger performance.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rictified

Post by rictified »

"You're no good" was a big hit here in Worcester and Boston anyway and that's the song I remember them best for besides "Hippy Hippy Shake", don't know how well they did nationally. We had great radio here back then and many of the British bands had hits here that obviously didn't hit in other markets.
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Les Braid- sad reading.

But life goes on. One song by the SBJ I liked as a youngster was Don't Make Me Over. More of a ballad. Is this a Bacharach/David tune? Did it chart? I remember it as a '45.

Terry Sylvester is known as a former SBJ. Does anybody know if he's featured on any of their recordings?
Searchers amongst my teenage favourite music. Still fond of them, but earnestly a little puzzled they are considered THIS big! But I'm very excited about this forum, and will love to read it regularly, and also contribute!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes it was a B/D Song and yes it did chart in UK peaking at number 31 in Jan 66. TS was probably on 3/4 singles made after the hits he joined in Feb 66
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”