What was your best LP record score?

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
octagon

What was your best LP record score?

Post by octagon »

My best score on an LP record was in 1980 when I worked in a used record shop and a middle age lady brought in a Mono copy of The Beatles Yesterday And Today.It was an original black label with rainbow ring.The record itself was scratched but I knew those old Mono Capital records play fine even with what may appear as deep scratches so I gave her $2.00 for it.Unfortunatly for me one of my co-oworkers saw me make the purchase and had the same idea as me.My hands were shaking as I held it up to the light and saw the black "V" of Ringo's turtle neck below the white of the cover pasted over.Wow!I was holding one of the true Holy Grails of record collecting.Since my co-worker knew exactly what it was without me having to tell him I couldn't keep it for myself without creating some bad vibes so I decided to dispose of it before the store owner became aware of our score and split the proceeds with my co-conspirator.We called one of our most faithful customers and swore him to secrecy.As soon as we hung up he rushed over to buy it for $200 before we changed our minds.What would that record fetch in todays market?Cover was VG+/NM record G+/VG- ?
brammy

Post by brammy »

More than $200, thats for sure! What you really should have done is fed your co-worker into the paper shreader. What's 20-to-life compared to an authentic unpeeled butcher cover?

I have an old jazz record signed by Woody Herman that I bought for a few bucks. I dont know if its worth much.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

A sealed, 1st state mono of Yesterday and Today. I got it in '67, through of a friend a friend and well, sold it about six years ago for a couple of bucks.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Used mono Beatles 'Yesterday and Today' back in 1975 for fifty cents in excellent condition.

In 1981 I successfully removed the top sticker revealing a BUTCHER COVER!

I still have it!
brammy

Post by brammy »

yowza!... ok Karl, you win.

Where did you buy it.. retail store? Auction?
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
rictified

Post by rictified »

woops
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Mother found it at a yard sale.

I had told her around that time that I wanted the song 'Nowhere Man'.

That BUTCHER COVER was the LP she picked up and brought home to me.
octagon

Post by octagon »

My second best LP record score happened last year when I found a near mint orginal copy of "$100 Fine",the second LP by The Litter Minneapolis's most famous psyche/punk/garage of the 60s.The Litter's most famous song "Action Woman" appears on the Nuggets comp.And their first LP "Distortions" is one of the greatest albums ever made. I got this LP for $0.80 at a thrift store.I don't think it was ever played.My record price guide lists this records value at $400 but it is hard to say what it is really worth as it rarely come up for auction(they only pressed 500 copies).I'm going to put it on Ebay when I am able to take better pictures of it.

octagon

Post by octagon »

wayang

Post by wayang »

Hey, Kent...how much would you want for that Woody Herman album? All kidding aside...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
brammy

Post by brammy »

dunno.... let me go find it and tell you what album it is etc.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”