The Last Time For Brian Jones

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

The Last Time For Brian Jones

Post by admin »

While this is not the typical topic on Clough's Classics, I have recently read that Brian Jones death may not have been an accident. Apparently they may have to exhume the body. We may have a real 1960s mystery on our hands.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I remember reading about these rumours in "Golden Stone", the bio of Brian. 'Bout time.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Story is it was someone Brian owed cash too who might have played a hand in it. The case was just re-opened again for about the third or fourth time.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Peter: There have been a number of books written to profit from various theories about the death of Brian Jones. None of them are interesting enough to hold my attention, because they mostly involve a swimming accident and whether or not his houseguests could have saved him (or didn't try). I hadn't heard about an exhumation, but it's hard to believe that after thirty-six years the body could provide many answers. In my opinion, his life and contribution to the Stones' success was infinitely more interesting than his demise.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Brian Jones Death Probe To Reopen
Tuesday, 16-Aug-2005 4:54PM Associated Press - AP Online

LONDON, Aug. 16 (UPI) -- The 1969 death of Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones could be reopened amid possible evidence he was killed for a $14,000 debt.

The New York Daily News reported Tuesday that Jones' former girlfriend, Pat Andrews, persuaded British authorities to exhume Jones' body after a 150-page dossier was released describing his drowning at age 27.

"Disturbing new evidence has emerged which merits a full new police investigation", Andrews told Britain's Sunday Express.

A new film, "The Wild and Wicked World of Brian Jones" claims the late Frank Thorogood, a builder, drowned Jones while the two fought over the debt.

"It is quite a complicated story", film director Stephen Woolley said. "It's not like Thorogood just got up one morning and decided to murder Brian Jones. It is the route that it took to get there."
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I've read everything from he had an asthma attack while swimming to Jagger kicking him in the head while in the pool.
But $14,000 was a lot of money back then.
It'll be interesting, having always been shrouded in mystery
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I can't help being cynical in relation to Jones, I suspect someone senses the opportunity to make mega bucks, Thorogood is dead, Jones is dead so if somebody knows something why have they waited 41 years to "let the truth be known".

What's the next scoop "Miller found alive and well"
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Never can tell, Roy. I don't know who could make any big bucks off this, like you said the 'parties' are dead, so where would any money come from? Brian's royalties? Maybe, the guy with the movie will get more folks to come see his work. Someone wanting to write a book. How much interest would that generate? The majority of folks who have interest (or even remember) Jones' tale are closing in on the same fate of Jones and Thorogood, and no pool is needed.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Stan: Good point. Brian Jones isn't exactly a household name these days (unless it's my house). I must admit a fascination with Cotchford Farm (the house where he died). It was on a list of places to visit last time I was in England. Never made it there, but spent a rainy afternoon in 1994 wondering around a graveyard in Cheltenham looking for his headstone. Never found it, but had a great Indian meal at a nearby restaurant. Oh well...
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

You know Randy, I have a tendency to forget how much time has passed (a senior moment for me) but it's been 36 years since Brian died. Whatever the outcome, it is certainly is too late for Brian. But if it is found Brian's death wasn't linked to his despair of being booted from the Stones, well, it might be solace for a couple of folks, like Mick and Keith. I think they've had this hanging over their heads ever since.
brammy

Post by brammy »

Overall I agree with Roy. This smells more like a prelude to a book promo campaign than a real investigation. Follow the money.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Again, Kent, what money?
brammy

Post by brammy »

Dunno.... but if there is going to be money, like a suit for damages or (more likely) a book deal, that that will be the money trail to follow. In other words, is this simply a police investigation or is there someone who stands go gain by re-opening this case?

But as was said earlier, I'm a lot more interested in great musicianship than whether he was murdered or whether he drowned himself in some drug induced haze.

Early on, the Stones were really Brian's group, am I right?
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

There could be a book but for whoever writes it they shouldn't expect some hefty advance about a death 36 years ago, or any huge latter sales for that matter.

Brian was the one who put it all together, but since he ingested everything he could get his hands on into his system, it eventually led to his own demise in the band he helped create.

Added note: It was Jones and Ian Stewart who started the Stones. Stu responed to a newspaper ad Jones had placed. I think Stewart acted as their manager for a time.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

According to the book written by Mick, Keef, Charlie and Ron, Brian couldn't handle the fact that Mick and Keef became the creative forces in the group, and apart from his ability to play just about any instrument, he had little else to contribute. This they say, was one reason for his overindulgences.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”