The Last Time For Brian Jones

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

It's funny that Brian Jones should come up as a topic. This week I received a double CD I ordered from Amazon called 'Godstar - The Final Director's Cut' by Psychic TV. It's the soundtrack to a movie about the life and death of Brian Jones, that was never made. The band's manager stole the money for the project and was never seen again. It seems that Genesis P. Orridge, the strange force behind this band, has been fascinated with Jones since meeting him and the Stones on a TV show in 1966. The movie would have no doubt been surreal, impressionistic, and incomprehensible if it were to have been made. Their record label had no intention of funding it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Randy. Perhaps there is no such thing as a coincidence.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Peter: Don't go and get all magickal mystikal on me!
brammy

Post by brammy »

my karma ran over my dogma
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
rictified

Post by rictified »

Ian Stewart also played keyboards for them until he died I believe, he didn't have it in the looks department supposedly and he got demoted. I don't think The Stones and co. (read: Mick Jagger) were always nice people. I also have read that Jagger was jealous of Jones because he got all the girls. Brian was the soul of the band while he alive, the band was bluesy, when Mick Taylor came aboard the band sound changed abruptly, and then again when Ron Wood came into the band who was a better bass player than guitar player in my book, they have been pretty boring ever since he joined.
brammy

Post by brammy »

They were a great blues band early on. One thing to note is that ... imho ... (aside from the very early stuff which was more blues combo) the best rock albums made by the Stones were when Mick Taylor was with them (Sticky Fingers etc).
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
rictified

Post by rictified »

I don't know they really rocked on their early albums too, although the albums were much more uneven. Check out "Around and Around" on 12 x 5, or "Heart of Stone" forget the album.
basstard

Post by basstard »

Brian Jones WAS The Rolling Stones...No arguement
at last, some like minded people...
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

BJ was the most talented, multi-instrumentalist member of the group. Jagger was insanely jealous. MJ is a one-trick millionaire pony.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

But Jagger/Richards started producing songs. And these songs sold. Brian didn't. Jealous or not, one trick or not, Jagger didn't self destruct (Keith nearly did at one time with his heroin habit). The triology Beggars/Exile/Sticky represents the best of the Stones IMO. I believe Brian was still with them for Beggars. How many others have had careers in rock with one trick? Most of them. They still can't touch Jagger/Richards.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Agreed. They are relics of the times and irrepressible and I'm just envious.

As long as Mick stays away from MY daughter!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

The best, IMO, were Let It Bleed, Beggars, Sticky and Exile (in order of release)and the turning point in their sound came when they hired Jimmy Miller to produce the albums, beginning with Beggars.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Wyman liked very young girls too Paul. I'm with you on that score. Stay clear of em. Great music low moral standards.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

Aftermath, the best. Brian was murdered because of his drug conviction that kept the Stones from touring the U.S. Same with Janis Joplin when she became a liability to her record company, she was a whiskey drinker,not a junkie.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

'Aftermath' is my favorite Stones LP.

It's right up there with Rubber Soul/Revolver.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”