Clough Links Site

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Clough Links Site

Post by admin »

For those who have enjoyed Roy Clough's Classics, please do yourself a favour and visit Clough Links at http://www.rickresource.com/searchers/cloughlinks.html You will enjoy Roy's detailed review of The Searcher's music along with his reflections of what was and what might have been. Don't forget to tell Roy what you think.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rictified

Re: Clough Links Site

Post by rictified »

Roy, you left out my favorite all time Searchers tune on your Searchers sings Searchers LP: Don't throw Your Love Away. that song was magic for me when it came out, it actually still is.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Was "Don't throw..." written by themselves? :shock:
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

sowhat wrote:Was "Don't throw..." written by themselves? :shock:
It was written by Jackson / Wisner apparently.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

winston wrote:It was written by Jackson / Wisner apparently.
...and apparently, writer Jackson's name was Billy, not Tony.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Was that the criteria, they had to have been written by the Searchers themselves? I was tired last night I guess.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

As i understood — and i may be wrong, of course — "Searchers sing Searchers" was an imaginary "album" consisting of the Searchers' self-penned songs.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

sowhat wrote:
winston wrote:It was written by Jackson / Wisner apparently.
...and apparently, writer Jackson's name was Billy, not Tony.
I had no idea who that song writing duo was but, don't you think that's a strange coincidence Sheena? Sharing the same last name. Who is Billy Jackson? Does anyone know if Tony and Billy are related?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

winston wrote:I had no idea who that song writing duo was but, don't you think that's a strange coincidence Sheena? Sharing the same last name. Who is Billy Jackson? Does anyone know if Tony and Billy are related?
Well, thankfully, the other writer's (Jimmy Wisner) last name was not Crummey or McNally. :wink: Couldn't find any info on either of them. AMG only shows blank pages, with no info, but i suggest they were/are American (at least Wisner, according to the same source). Moreover, i suggest Jackson is not a very rare last name, so personally i doubt they were related — but who knows?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Sheena you are correct Searchers Sing Searchers is my imaginary album, though if anyone would like it just ask.

That's Don't Throw did not qualify.Tony Jackson did not write or contribute to any Searchers self penned songs.

Song Don't Throw was found on a Orlons B Side., it is interesting to listen to original then The Searchers arrangement.

Thank you to those who have commented
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

After having re-read the aforementioned article, i thought that i want to say something more (just skip that if you don't like boring reading :wink: ).
1. Two songs are on there that i've never heard (Suzanna and Lovers). Am i losing something? The others i know well. "I'll be loving you" is not in the list, but personally i think that's the best song they've ever written, and even more — the best song they've ever recorded. One of the few lovesongs i can listen to without a chuckle. "Till the butterflies and puppies' eyes lose their tenderness" — one of the most moving metaphors i've ever come across, at least in songs written in English. But it's not my article, so just skip that.
2. I seriously think "Kinky Cathy" was not that bad. Of course we've heard better, but still.
3. I'd also say "Little bit of heaven" is not so heavenly as the title would suggest (imho, of course).
Perhaps Tim Viney or Peter McCormack could be persuaded to do a favourite song written by The Searchers poll.
Was there that kind of poll ever? If not, why not try to do it now? :wink:
(My Wife can't be right, there must be somebody out there as mad as me).
Or maybe even madder. :wink: Okay, that's an offtopic. I think i can identify who of the four — Pender, Curtis, McNally or Allen — could write this or that lyric just by analyzing the lyric. That doesn't mean i'll identify it correctly. :wink:
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

PS: thanks, Roy. Now i'd probably put "Suzanna" as second best Searchers' self-penned song. Couldn't have expected they'd ever write a song like that. Really impressive. Also not too much in Pender's range, imho, but he does a good job on it anyway.
pc31

Post by pc31 »

i thought you might enjoy these roy...a band called the rocky fellers from the 60s

chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

royclough wrote:Sheena you are correct Searchers Sing Searchers is my imaginary album, though if anyone would like it just ask.

That's Don't Throw did not qualify.Tony Jackson did not write or contribute to any Searchers self penned songs.

Song Don't Throw was found on a Orlons B Side., it is interesting to listen to original then The Searchers arrangement.

Thank you to those who have commented
Roy, would you please send me your Searchers Sing Searchers imaginary album? I just visited the Orlons version of Don't Throw...Ouch!!!! :roll: And that is what I expected my reaction would be.

Don't Throw is on my Top Forty All Time Searchers Songs. I've tried to get it down to a Top Ten List, but couldn't leave the other thirty off! :D And glad for it, too!
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

It would be my pleasure consider it done.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”